Chapter 10 - Waiting Game

"We're not discussing the war with you, Your Highness," Dreki said and slammed the door in my face

"We're not discussing the war with you, Your Highness," Dreki said and slammed the door in my face. I had to take a very deep breath to not break down the door and just go nuts on the asshole, but Islo kept saying we had to wait. I didn't know what we were waiting for, but I was getting tired of waiting.

I went back to my chambers and wanted to throw a temper tantrum but that did no good for anyone. And I was too old for it.

Instead my anger melted away as I found my mother and Isla playing the board game Isla loved so much. Islo looked up from his book and rose to his feet, coming over to me, putting his arm around my shoulders.

"It's cute, isn't it?" he whispered and kissed my hair.

"Absolutely adorable," I breathed and looked up at him with a wide smile.

"My parents died many years ago. And Cat's are up in the Aatskina tribe. I think Isla has been missing a grandmother."

I nodded and had to bite down on my lip. I had been missing a mother, that was for sure. And she was here now. Not forever, but I would never lose her again. No one could tell me I wasn't allowed to have her. That she wasn't allowed to talk to me.

I went with Islo to the sofa and sat down on it, just taking in the absolutely amazing feeling of being surrounded by family. My family. I had a proper family. It was overwhelming.

Every morning Islo and I loved to listen to the radio while we'd just cuddle

Every morning Islo and I loved to listen to the radio while we'd just cuddle. He'd trace the tattoos on my back, my arms, my hands and fingers. And I'd just lie there, snoozing a little. He'd wake me up with kisses if I fell back asleep. There was really no losing here. He was fantastic.

The music got cut off and I frowned looking back at the radio. A lot of static noise and then it cleared.

"My beloved country."

All blood drained from my face and I sat up, staring at the radio.

"My name is Alvina av Stál. And the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Islo took my hand in his and gave it a squeeze.

"I'm alive with the help of the Aatskina tribe and the Paamut tribe, our most trusted friends and neighbours. Our siblings. I would not be here without them. The attack on me, my stronghold and my throne was orchestrated by the Bursaaq tribe. And they would have succeeded had it not been for the Aatskina tribe. What they're doing is wrong and we do not plan on staying idly by as they destroy the homes and lives of our siblings. This is a declaration of war. And a promise. I am coming for my throne. And to my brother Quinn."