Chapter Seven - Anniversary

"Happy month anniversary, Cynthia."

"What exactly are we celebrating, Errin?"

"It's our 1 month anniversary of being stuck on this stupid planet."

"Would you like me to mark today's date as '1 Month Anniversary Of Being Stuck On This Stupid Planet'?"

"God, no, Cynthia. I was being sarcastic."

"Very well then, Errin."

I wish Cynthia could understand sarcasm. It would be much easier and less frustrating to talk with her if she could.

Today marks 4 Earth weeks that I've been stuck on Aquaertus. I've gotten into a smooth routine: wake up, stretch, go for a swim, eat, swim some more, sleep, and repeat. There's not much else for me to do on this planet. On the plus side, I've gotten more muscular and I can hold my breath for about 5 minutes.

I've been recording all of the life forms I find, which is a lot. Life on Aquaertus is very diverse. So far, my favorite creature I've discovered is similar to an octopus. The biggest one I've seen is no larger than my forearm, but the majority of them could fit into the palm of my hand. It has tentacles, but they're webbed together; when they move, it's like a flowing skirt. There are no suckers on the tentacles, but at the edges of the connected limbs, the creature has white glowing spheres, like lightbulbs. They light up the ocean floor during the night, creating a comfortable warm glow in the darkness. The species comes in a variety of colors, but I prefer the blue-green ones. They blend in with the water and are hard to see, but when I do find one, I can't help but stare. The way the colors fade make them look like how the sunset looks under the water. They're so beautiful.

Today, since it's my 1 month anniversary, I decided to "celebrate" by swimming farther out into the ocean. I've been staying within a small range of the pod, which is limiting my knowledge of the planet. I thought that, although I'd be risking my life going farther away, it's also my duty. I came with the intentions of gaining information of Aquaertus. I was meant to have the assistance of about 100 other people, but due to unforeseen circumstances, it's just me. Earth's prosperity is depending on my survival and my research right now.

I don't plan to swim too far, but the unpredictable ocean could sweep me away from my pod, so I prepared in case something like that happens. I threaded a makeshift backpack with the same method I used to make my clothes. It took about 3 days, but it will come in handy for this trip as well as any future ones. In the backpack, I packed a substantial amount of seaweed leaves, my machete, a backup weapon similar to a dagger that I found at the USS Pertempto's wreckage, and some first aid supplies.

I ask Cynthia to play motivational music once again to ready myself. Her speakers spout the same repetitive tunes that they always play when I ask her to do this. I take some deep breaths. It's going to be physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging for me to venture so far away from what I've considered a safe place for the past month, but I feel that it needs to be done. I have to get over my fears if I'm going to survive on this planet.

I put on the backpack and adjust it to the best of my ability. I tell Cynthia to stop the music and say a final goodbye, as if she actually has the ability to care. She responds with a robotic farewell as I climb out and jump into the water.

I could go north, south, east, or west from the pod. East is the direction of the seaweed, so I don't think I'll go that way. To the west the water gets more shallow, so that could be a safer option. Plus, the west is the direction the sun rises - the opposite direction as on Earth - so it'll be easier to find my way. To the north and south are open waters of various depths. I think going west is the best option.

I only want to be gone for a maximum of 20 hours. I can't survive long without shelter and rest, so I plan to go back to the pod within a day. I might try to go back earlier, but most of this depends on how the ocean decides to treat me.

I have nothing to keep myself afloat, so my body will have to push itself to its limits for this journey. I hope I can last long enough to swim this far out.

With all this in mind, I begin my journey and swim toward the west.