Chapter One: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Cassy resumed school and I was ever more excited to join her in every class we shared together

Cassy resumed school and I was ever more excited to join her in every class we shared together. Our parents had begged the management to keep us in the same class the whole time when I was going a bad phase in life. I was only four when my dad passed away and Cassy helped me cheer up. Since then, we are inseparable. Cassy was the latest to sign on the anti-bullying campaign.

"Yo! Feels like I haven't been here for ages." She quipped as she took a seat in the class. She took a look around the class noticing the new charts put up on the notice board. "What's with the charts?" she asked me.

"It's for the Geography class." I said.

"Mm-hm." She nodded, a small smile playing on the lips.

"Guess what? The Anti-bullying campaign has increased to fifty signatures." She said in glee.

I couldn't contain my excitement. "What? How?"

"Shawn's family has also signed along with some parents of other students."

"Woah, that's fast." I remarked.

"Yup. Shawn just told me in the morning. I've a feeling we will win." She rubbed her palms together, grinning at me.

"I hope." I said, hope blooming in my chest.

Class started and it was hard for me to pay attention when I kept thinking what would happen if I and Cassy weren't together in the same class. Would I have been a normal kid? Would the nightmares go away? Could I have fought against my bullies? Would I be still a jerk in the eyes of others?

The bell rang and I as shaken from my train of thoughts. Students began shoving books in their bags and the hallway resounded with the chatter of students. I and Cassy walked towards the next class when I felt someone violently push me forward.

"Hey, jerk!" someone said ruffling my hair.

Students began to stare.

"Oooh that's her." Another voice said. "The one who knocked Cole unconscious." It was more like a snarl. I turned around and saw a black-haired boy and his gang looking at me with arms folded over their chests.

"Leave her alone." It was Cassy.

"Who are you to tell us? She is our problem. If you get in between we will do the same to you." another boy said. I noticed that Cole was missing.

"You've no idea whom you're talking to." Cassie snarled.

"Oh, so she's the friend." The black-haired boy teased. "Come to fight chicken?"

"You---" I stopped her.

"You look much more of a crow, jack-ass." I said.

Students began to laugh.

"Much more of a fluffy big crow." I said, correcting myself.

"You are done." He said, eyes boring into mine. We were standing a few feet from each other, but I could feel the pride emitting from his stature.