Chapter Two: Normalcy, At Last

The following week, the management had chosen a new Principal

The following week, the management had chosen a new Principal. Her was Mrs. Jones. She was around fifty years old and she was transferred from Michigan. I had heard from other students that she was a psychologist. I saw students meeting her in her office during lunch break and wondered why she would want to meet up with so many students together. Cassy told me because she wanted to make sure that the students had her support regarding mental health issues. She said that they could always talk to her whenever they wanted to. I was touched by her kind gesture, but I doubted whether would she live up to what she had promised?

Shawn's class teacher was Mr. Svenson. He was a Maths and Physics teacher. Cassy told me that he was three years older than us and he looked cute. She would often sketch his face in her book and draw little hearts next to the sketch. I thought she liked Shawn.....

After lunch, we were informed that our midterms would begin next month and the schedule would be displayed shortly. Cassy was the first to groan. I frowned at her. "I had planned on going to Utah next month." She said.

"Okay. So?"

"I'm worried if the exam commences on those days." She said anxiously.

"If you're so concerned about this, you can postpone it to the summer holidays." I suggested. "In that way, you won't waste your money."

But that didn't seem to calm her nerves. "I want to visit my aunt next month, not in the summer!" she said irritated.

"Hey, relax!" I said. "Wait till the schedule comes up tomorrow. Then make a decision."

She pondered over it. "Fine." She said pursing her lips. "I hope that works."

The next morning, Cassy was bombarding my phone with messages. I rubbed my sleepy eyes as I woke up. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand. There were thirty messages from Cassy. I sat up in bed and unlocked my phone to read the messages.

Noooo! Why am I so unlucky?

Exam starts when I leave for Utah

Oh Lord, I hate myself

Cassy was an emoji queen. All of her chats were full of crying emojis and angry red emojis. I closed my eyes in irritation. I felt bad for her but I didn't want to be disturbed to hear this.

Now, my mom is going to keep muttering to herself about how she struggled to schedule a flight on that day.

I hate this school so much

I wish I was enrolled in another school

I put my phone done and brushed my teeth. My phone kept pinging from the Cassy's messages and I ignored them as I got ready for school. My eyes begged for sleep and I almost stumbled when getting down the bannister. I internally cursed Cassy for me endure all this shit. My sleep was everything to me.