Chapter Three: Excitement Begins!!

As the days went by, Cassy kept bunking class to help Mr. Kavanaugh for a mysterious reason. I thought it was best to confide in Mrs. Bosworth to keep an eye on her but then that would sever my friendship with Cassy. I had to do something which didn't involve Mrs. Bosworth and Shawn. I had to make a plan.

The exam results were out and as it turns out, I had passed with flying colours. I was literally over the moon when I received the marksheet. "Good job, Daniella." Mr. Svenson remarked while handing me my marksheet.

I smiled. "Thank you, Sir." I suddenly remembered. "Sir, is it okay if you can give me Cassandra Bosworth's marksheet?"

He shook his head. "Unfortunately, we are not allowed to do that." He looked around for her. "Where is she?"

"Sir, she isn't in class..." I replied.

"Why?"

"She's meeting Mr. Kavanaugh." I shrugged.

"Regarding?"

"I've no idea." I replied. "She hasn't told me anything."

He frowned. He asked the teacher something regarding Mr. Kavanaugh. The chattering in the class was so loud that I couldn't hear what the teachers in front of me were talking. Her eyes lit up over the memory and she told him something in return. "Next." Mr. Svenson said. That was a wasted chance in learning about Cassy's secret mission.

It was on a hot Saturday afternoon that I got a message from Cassy. Me and my mom were in the local market when my phone pinged in my hand. Guess what.... I've this awesome news for you!!! her message read on my phone lock screen.

I rolled my eyes.

"Dani can you get me some sugar from the groceries aisle?" mom asked me.

I nodded and walked towards the sugar aisle. I found a packet of sugar and put it in the basket. Just as I was exiting the aisle, my phone pinged again. I pulled out my phone from jeans pocket and saw another message from Cassy. I decided not to check what it was.

Once we paid and did the checkout, we ordered a taxi and got home. Mom didn't like to travel by car because she was a hard-core climate activist. I supported her cause. I had no choice. I studied for an hour and helped her in the cooking. One hour before lunch, I decided to check my phone for Cassy's messages.

I know you were getting suspicious about why I was with Mr. Kavanaugh. *insert winking eye emoji*

I narrowed my eyes at her message.

So apparently, when I and you had a fallout that day, I met a girl from the school's Nature Club and she asked me if I would be a part of it. So, I said yes.

Good for you. I typed.

A few minutes later, Cassy sent me a picture. I downloaded it. it was about a trip to Nevada. It was scheduled at the end of the month. Cassy told me that if I wanted to come, I should quickly fill out the form as seats were filling quickly. I couldn't go for the picnic. For twelve years I've avoided the topic of picnics because of that fateful day.

***

On Monday, Cassy asked me whether I was going for the picnic. I told her no. "If you want to go, you can go." I told her. "It's a perfect time for you and Shawn to kindle your romance." I added. Just because I wasn't going didn't mean that Cassy should sacrifice her fun-filled outing for me.

She gripped my hand. "Hey, if you're not going I'm not going." I was about to protest but she stopped me. "If my friend feels scared because of something, then I would definitely support her." My heart swelled with joy. I gave her a small smile. She pulled me into an embrace and she patted my back.