Chapter 3

This girl was more than just a waste of my time. It wasn’t as difficult as I thought it was to get to her. Drenched and exhausted from this drama I coughed as I dragged myself and the girl on the park grass. She was unconscious at first but as I set her down I heard her cough up the water, she tried to open her eyes but suddenly slipped back into a drowsy state.

 “Adrian!” I heard Finny run up towards us.

Donnie looked at the unconscious girl and smirked, “You got her. I’m impressed with you Vandermir. Is she alright?”

“I’m fine.” I said in an annoyed voice ignoring his question about the girl.

She ruined this deal for me.  

“Adrian what are you thinking?” Finny asked.

“Get our ride back now Finneas.” I nonchalantly replied.

Without a word he left to get the vehicle. Donnie looked at me curiously and asked,

“Really, what is going on in that head of yours? You’re not planning on leaving the girl behind, are you?”

“No,” I stated with a sigh, frustration slipping out of me as I ran my hand through my hair, “You know what would happen.”

“Wow, Adrian Vandermir shows compassion? What a day!” Donnie chuckled.

“No, the girl already knows what’s in the folders. If she runs her mouth to anyone and the officials gets to know about it then this deal has no hope.”

“But it’s not like we’re doing anything that illegal. We’re just getting back at Rocillie.”

“I know but there’s someone else I want to figure out.” I said with a smirk.

“And who’s that?”

“Those men who took the folders. I know it isn’t Rocillie’s men, I’m quite curious who they might be. Who would be interested in my dealings with Rocillie or perhaps my sponsorship funds? And the girl could help, I know she saw the face of the man who pushed her.”

“That’s why you saved her? To use her for info?” Donnie said a bit uneasy but shrugged it off.

Before I could say anything else Finny pulled up with our driver on the side. As we all sat at the back of the vehicle Finn looked at the unconscious girl lying on the long seat.

“What’s wrong with you?” Donnie asked him.

“It’s…. well….it’s just that I’m glad you brought her with us Adrian. Those people would have found out about her whereabouts and probably killed her or who knows what else they could do.” He replied with weary eyes staring at me, “Besides, they think she’s with you so there would be a high chance of them looking for her.”

“Why do you even care? And personally I have other goals with this girl.” I stated coldly.

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“Finny, have I ever given you a reason not to trust me?” I said returning the glare.

“No. We all have our reason why we stick together. I just, I don’t want what happened to Melissa happen to this girl.”

“Your sister’s fate was inevitable Finneas, she chose that. There was nothing you could have done to save her.” Donnie finally said.

There was a sudden whimper that broke the silence. The girl was mumbling something, a name. Jenna. She sounded like a child crying from losing her mother in the mall. Annoying.  We weren’t too far from the hotel, when we arrived Donnie placed her in my bed while I sat on the sofa right outside. Thank God Donnie had convinced the police that the gunshots were nothing serious and no real concern else the matter would have gone out of control. Making a cup of coffee for himself, I noticed Finny looking out the window like a lost puppy.

“She’s drenched. She could get sick.” Finn said turning around.

“Well knock yourself out kid, go change her.” Donnie chuckled raising his cup and his eyebrows simultaneously in a mischievous way.

“No, no that’s not what I intended.” he said a bit embarrassed it came out that way, “Fine then, forget it.”

“No, you’re right. My bed would get drenched.” I stated getting up and heading towards the room.

“Adrian! What are you doing?” Finny yelled at me in a startled manner, “You can’t violate a woman like that!”

I chuckled at his perception, “No, mother Teresa, I’m just going to make a room service call to the maid.”

“Then why are you going in the room?” he continued asking.

“To get a shirt for that nuisance of a girl of course. Unless you’d rather her wear nothing?” I smirked towards him.

“No, get your shirt.” He said in an awkward voice.

Almost twenty minutes after Ricardo came in with a frustrated look on his face, “I couldn’t get to them. They drove off faster than I could into one of those restricted areas when I ended up getting a flat.”

“What?” Donnie asked surprised.

“They shot at the tires. I was lucky enough to get out alive, the car blew up.”

“Damn it!” I breathed as rage seeped through me, “Damn this girl. Damn everyone.”

“Getting angry about it won’t help Adrian.” Ricardo said as coolly as possibly folding his arms.

“All this work I put into this project. Gone. And you expect me to not get mad? Do you know how much trouble I took to make this deal possible!”

Finally my anger subsided and a smirked played upon my face, “You’re right Ricardo, I shouldn’t get angry. If those men want to stick their nose in my business, I’ll give them all my attention.”