The Harlot

June 1413

Edmund remains at court and starts to visit my chambers nearly every night before I visit the King. Sometimes we play a hand or two of cards but more often we spend our time talking about trivia and great matters. 

Edmund still does not have his father's approval to join the army but he confides in me that if war would break out, he would defy him and fight even if he would end up without his inheritance and birthright. I still do not worry and keep reminding him of what Charles told me. 

Slowly it dawns on me that my time with Edmund gives me more peace of mind than my nights with Charles. I even think the King notices that something is different because he stops summoning me as often for no apparent reason. There is no new beauty at court and his relationship with the Queen is still strained. When he does call for me, we please each other like before, but the restless feeling does not leave me.

For each night that passes, it becomes clear to me that Edmund with his kindness and strong beliefs has taken a place in my heart that I didn't know existed. He becomes my closest confidant and when I finally tell him of my child, he says nothing but holds me as I weep.

July 1413

During the celebration of something important and forgettable, I see Edmund on the other side of the dancefloor with a young lady at his arm, a lady I have not seen before. As they walk towards me, I notice that her blonde hair is not as long as mine and that her face looks plain even though she is smiling. I have a hard time figuring out if she is younger or older than me, because even though her face radiates innocence, she carries herself like someone who has captured and kept the attention of many men.

"Your Grace, this is my sister Sophie", Edmund says as they reach my side.

As soon as he speaks the words I can detect all the resemblance between the siblings. The straight nose and the narrow eyes are nearly identical. She curtsies low and I give her a warm smile when she rises.

"I'm delighted to meet you", I say happily, trying to hide the fact that merely a few seconds earlier, I wanted someone to knock her down to the floor.

She smiles back and looks at me with wide eyes.

"I am so happy to finally meet you, Your Grace. My brother has told me so much about you. He says you are the most intelligent and lovely woman at court."

Edmund squeezes his sister's arm as I feel my cheeks quickly turning pink. I try to keep my gaze on Sophie as I speak.

"Your brother talks too much. Has he asked you to dance yet?"

She laughs and lets go of Edmund's arm. 

"He has but I turned him down and convinced him to ask someone else."

Edmund reaches out his hand to me and after a short pause, I grab a hold of it.

"Your sister is lovely. How old is she?" I ask as we make our way amongst the couples on the dancefloor.

"She turns eighteen this year."

Then she is older than me, I think. If only by a few months.

"So what terrible tales have you told her about me?" I probe teasingly, even though a part of me desperately needs to know.

He smiles politely but does not reply. Instead we stay silent and when the dance is over, we walk back to Sophie who has now been joined by her father and my husband.

"Well sister I think it's time for you to start moving those feet."

As they leave us I exchange a few courteous words with Edmund's father, but when I look over at my husband my voice freezes. There is something wrong with his empty gaze and it makes me cold inside. 

"Are you well husband?"

Before he responds, he finishes half of the dark liquid in his cup.

"I would feel better if my wife did not whore herself to every man at court except from her lawfully wedded husband."

The Duke starts to laugh but I know better than to treat this as a common joke since my husband does not tell jokes, nor does he have a sense of humour.

"I am sorry you feel that way husband. Do you wish for me to retire to my chambers?"

"Leave us harlot!" he yells for half the court to hear and with a quick bow, I march out of the hall.

By now you would think I was used to his insults but usually they were given in private and not for the entire court to gossip about. Even Charles must have heard my husband's outburst and simply the thought of Edmund hearing his words makes my heart ache.