Act-15

I ran down the short steps of Bristol Magistrate Court with my gown fluttering in air behind me. One hand pressing the phone against my ear, whilst the other holding my wig.

"Blast it!" I swore, pulling the phone away from my face before rushing into my car. Throwing the wig along with my gown on the passenger seat, I pressed on the engine button and pulled the car out of the driveway.

I rushed back to the house, hoping that I was imagining the worst and there would be a very reasonable explanation to why she had sent that message and wasn't picking any of my calls now.

'I'll open the door and she would still be there and greet me like usual.'

But she wasn't.

I felt the worst of my fears confirming, when I opened the door to her room and found the hangers sprawled on her bed. But only one of her bag was missing and she didn't leave the house key either. So, is she going to come back for the rest of her stuff?

With a slump, I dropped down on the bed. My hand shaking slightly as I clicked open her message.

"I am leaving."

It had already been 6 hours, since she sent this message. I was in the court the whole day and didn't see her calls until now.

Why? Was it because of what I said yesterday? Did she think, I—and where did she go? Wasn't one of her sister living in London? Maybe there—? But why wasn't she taking my calls—At the very least, I deserved to be told this to my face. Did she think, I wasn't even worth that much?

Exhaling an exhausted sigh, I dropped my face in my hands. I sat still in my place, when the ringing of phone pulled me out of my anguish.

Quickly grabbing my phone, I watched the caller ID for her name, but felt the energy drain out of me, when I saw Jake's name.

'He called before too. Did something happen to Gramps? I was so panicked before, that I overlooked his calls. God, please let them be okay.' I silently prayed, rubbing a hand over my face as I took his call.

"Hello, sir." Jake's calm voice sounded on the other side. He was my grandparents' butler and I trusted him fully with their wellbeing.

"Hi. Sorry Jake, I missed your calls. Was in the court. Is Gramps okay?" I asked with panic laced in my voice.

"No problem, Sir. Sir and Madam are in perfectly good health." He answered in a levelled tone and I found myself nodding in relief.

"Right—Thank God. I got worried for a moment there—" Closing my eyes, I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Yes, Sir. I just wanted to convey a message. The young Madam had asked me to inform you of her safe arrival, an hour ago. As directed by Sir and Madam, I personally chaperoned her travel to make sure, there wasn't any thing amiss. Also, Sir and Madam wished to inquire, if you'll be able to make it to dinner?" He continued in that detached tone of his, whilst I sat there stunned.

"Sir? Are you still there?" Jake's voice shook me back to reality.

"Is—-Zaira—You're saying that Gramps and Nana called Zaira, over?" I found my voice hollow.

"I believe so, Sir. Yes." He returned, confused. I couldn't exactly pinpoint if it was relief or anger, but I couldn't stop laughing.