Chapter 10: They're Being Punished?

"Here," the chef sighs, pushing a long cart towards you. The cart had two levels, with 4 trays balanced precariously on the top and bottom. With 11 patients, the food was packed on tightly, making you anxious just looking at it. One bump and you could tip everything over. You smile bright, and take the tray despite your nerves, not bothering to thank the chef. They were the one who had insulted Brahms. Turning back toward the cafeteria exit, you head out to start dishing up the food. Your footsteps echo through the halls, and you move closer to the wall as a guard detail comes huffing past you with annoyed expressions plastered on their faces. You can't help but chuckle quietly to yourself, rolling your eyes. This lockdown wasn't that big a deal- speaking of lockdown, what would you tell Danny? He was still endlessly curious about the cause of all these drastic measures, and you weren't about to tell him the truth, not when the problem was already over. Maybe the easy thing to do would be to say you haven't heard anything yet. You could delay the question to when you weren't busy. You take a left into the halls with the cells, smiling at Amanda as she passes by. Her eyes go sympathetic, and you inwardly groan. Here comes the comfort.

"Oh, (Y/N)!" Amanda clicks her tongue, placing a hand on you shoulder, "I heard what happened... that must have been scary. Jason and Michael aren't usually so... forwards with their rage." you furrow your brows, and realize what Amanda must think. You had a job to do.

"Uh," you begin, "Thanks, I guess. I'm alright now, though." you give your cart a little push to draw her attention towards it. Her eyes light up with understanding and she smiles tightly.

"Right, sorry to hold you up."

You speed away faster than she does, continuing down the hall until you stop at the first cell. This is actually the cell of the patient you probably know the very least; this is the newest patient, Leslie Vernon, and he's at the window before you can even step in front of it.

"Nurse lady!" he smiles, and steps a few feet away from the door. Hesitating for only a moment, you scan your keycard and the door pops open.

"Good morning, Leslie," you say, "Would you mind stepping a little further from the door?"

"Not at all," Leslie takes a seat at his desk, staring at you intently. "Your name is (Y/N), if I remember correctly." You nod your head, confirming his fact. "Well, I don't think I've formally introduced myself." he stands from his seat, holding out a hand. You step away from your cart, reaching out to take it. He seems friendly enough. As your hands connect, you half expect him to twist you around, snapping your arm or pressing some hidden sharp object to your throat, but he does neither. He simply gives it a gentle shake. "The name's Leslie Vernon, but some stupid doctors are gonna call me Leslie Mancuso. Ignore them."

"Well," your hands separate, "It's quite nice to meet you, Leslie." you pluck a tray from its place on your cart, holding it out to him, "This is yours, hand delivered thanks to this lockdown." Leslie takes his tray and sets it gently on his desk, turning back to you with a curious expression.

"I'm going to guess you don't know anymore about this thing than I do, since you're a newbie and all." he crosses his arms, glancing around the cell he'd been assigned to, "This whole facility isn't as bad as I was afraid it was." Suddenly, Leslie's eyes widen and he takes a few excited steps towards you, grabbing your upper arms and smiling widely, "and did you know that the Norman Bates is right next door? Wow!" with a chuckle, you smile and nod.

"He's a nice guy, from what I've seen so far." Leslie nods his agreement. Releasing your arms and taking a step back, Leslie peers around you to stare out into the hallway.

"You have work to do," he says after a moment, "I'll let you get back to it. Tell the others I say hi, and tell them that I'm their biggest fan!" Leslie grins too wide for you to even consider declining, so with a nod and a smile half as wild as his, you drag your cart from the room and lock the door tightly once more.