Chapter 17: Prison Break

The sirens blare to life in a deafening chorus of chaos and the indefinite promise of destruction. A headache blooms behind your eyes, and the strobing lights peeking underneath your door are borderline blinding. A scream shreds the air, even sounding over the sirens, and the pieces click together. It's obvious what's going on, and it's obvious what's bound to happen. You know you have to do something, help one of the sides. Now is the time you need to make a choice- are you siding with your new best friends- the patients- or the good guys? You stumble backwards, away from your dresser, and wipe the tears from your eyes with the backs of your hands. More people will die because of you, but this time, you are certain you can try and stop it. You are certain that you have to stop it. The two sides, the two ideas, they still rage inside your head;

R U N A W A Y

And

F I G H T F O R T H E M

You find a comfortable in-between- make them stop. Don't flee, don't kill. Talk to them. Your patients will listen to you, won't they? You turn to the door, freezing for a moment and watching the reappearance and disappearance of the red lights shining underneath. Your headache will triple the moment you open that door, but you can deal with a little bit of pain in order to save lives. You race forwards, your hand wrapping around the cool metal of the door handle, and then you twist and throw it open, stumbling into the hallway. As you had guessed, your headache grows in an instant at the chaos you're met with.

"Jesus... Oh my god..." you place a hand on your forehead, scanning your surroundings. Doctors race back and forth in search of the safest escape route, and guards run towards your patient's cellblock at full speed with batons and taser-sticks at the ready; much to your horror, a few were even equipped with guns. If you don't step in now, your patients will be losing their lives. You hear a crashing sound, and your head whips to the left, the direction the guards are running. Both Michael and Jason have crashed through their doors, and were lunging straight for the two guards frantically flipping the safety off on their guns. Another crash sounds to your right, and your attention is torn in that direction. Much to your surprise and horror, Brahms is throwing himself against Norman's door after crashing through his own. Even from this distance, you could see the insane strength in Brahms' form, and the boiling determination and lust for freedom.

You're torn between containing Brahms and the others, or rushing to calm Jason and Michael; on one hand, if you don't stop Brahms, all of the patients will be running free, and on the other, Michael and Jason will kill them all. At last, with a frustrated groan, you turn towards Brahms and race in his direction.

"Brahms, stop!" you shout, racing in his direction. You stop a few feet away, but Brahms still doesn't halt his attack on the door. Norman is on the other side, motionless, his gaze glued to the hallway, to freedom. "Brahms, you're going to be hurt if you don't quit it! There will be consequences!" Brahms shoots you a glance and pauses for a moment- you, for a second, believe that maybe he will listen to you. And then, Norman speaks with a terrifying intensity.

"Brahms, what is more important to you? Freedom? Or making her happy?" Norman approaches the window, and glances at you with an apologetic look. "We can't stay locked up in here forever." Brahms seems to be in a dilemma. He glances at you, and then once more at Norman.

"Brahms, please! You'll get in trouble!" you plead, "Do you really think you can get out of here? The guards... they'll kill you!" you feel tears welling in your gaze again, the wailing of the siren seeming to fade into the background, leaving just you and Brahms.

"I- I..." Brahms glances once more at you, and then Norman, and then you again- He shakes his head, staring at the floor. "I'm sorry, Ms. (Y/N)." he whispers out, and suddenly throws himself into Norman's door with a new force. It snaps right off of its hinges, and clatters against the floor inside the cell. Norman stumbles backwards and out of the way as it falls, a smile taking over his face. You are suddenly terrified of the once-docile looking man, who now has a wildness in his eyes that you know is in every one of these patients. Norman lets out a small chuckle, and turns to Brahms, beaming like a kid on christmas.