Tips: How to promote your story?

A lot of people ask this question, so don’t worry, you’re not alone! It’s always hard getting started for an aspiring author, but here are some tips on productive ways to promote your story.

1.)  Word of mouth.

Sure it’s the oldest trick in the book, but it works. Talk to people, and not just to speak about your story, but listen/learn about them to. Ask them about their story, if they like writing, what they like to write about.

Quite often when you support people on Wattpad, they are so appreciative for the feedback that they are more than willing to return the favour. If not, (even though many authors are strongly against ‘whoring’ out your story) it never hurts to ask. But be sure to ask, don’t nag or tell, because it’s always nice to have an option instead of being forced into something you don’t want to do.

It’s all about give and take.

2.)  Get involved.

Honestly, the best way to get noticed is to get involved. So speak in the clubs, on the forums, and speak to other Wattpad users just for the sake of it. When talking in the clubs try to be active in the categories you are interested in. If you are interested in writing/reading science fiction, speak in the science fiction club, or if you are interested in things like fan-fiction visit that club. You’ll find more people who are interested in similar things to you that way.

Don’t spam. I know it’s tough not to, but keep in mind how persistence can quickly become irritating, and you don’t want to annoy or scare off possible readers/fans. There are designated advertising areas on the club forums, so if you want to post ‘read my story’ messages, post it there. People who are looking for something to read in that category will more than like search there, so try and make your message informative. Anyone can write ‘please read my story, thanks’ so write something different, something unique, show readers why they should click on your story.

The shorter the teaser, the better.

Of course when I say ‘shorter’ I mean at least 20+ words, but if it’s too long readers will more than likely get bored or it will be overwhelming. No one wants to read 100+ words when they don't have to, especially when they don't even know about you or your story yet. It needs to be short and simple, straight to the point.

If you are going to advertise in the specific area on the clubs, then be sure to not only tell people about the title of your story but add a small description/teaser also. It’s more likely to hook your readers…

Try to avoid things like, “Please read my story (insert title here). It’s about a young girl who meets this guy and they run off into the sunset together.” <- That’s boring, I mean, we have all heard that story before!

So why not try something more along the lines of…

“Have you ever felt like you don’t belong? (Insert catchy—and not too long title here) follow (add name here), as she embarks on a journey to find herself. Only it’s not what she finds, but who…as (?)’s deepest, darkest secrets are slowly leaked for the world to hear, but what is she hiding?”

Which one is more interesting?

Also, it’s important to remember that no matter how talented you may be, or how great your story is—not everyone will always love it. Maybe it might not be the genre they are into, because everyone is different. So don’t give up! 

3.)  Be determined.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Let’s take Stephanie Meyer for instance, I mean, she got declined from many publishing houses and look where she is now. Not only a best seller, but with millions of fans, and academy award winning movies.

So never give up on your dreams no matter how impossible they might seem. If you get negative feedback or no feedback at all, just look at it as a learning curve, and grow from it. Continue to work on your story, read over it, and stay positive. Don't be too hard on yourself, but at the same time, thrive to be the best writer you can be.

And the best advice I can give you is not to be in competition with another, but to be in competition with yourself. Don’t write for fans, votes, and fame. Write because there are so many ideas in your head that you feel as though your brain might explode if you don't write them down. Write because you have a passion for it, because you couldn’t possibly stop if you tried, but most importantly of all: write because you have a story to tell.