Chapter 30

They arrived at Mia's home a little over an hour later.

"Mum," Mia called as she pushed the front door open and made her way in. "Why's the front door ajar?"

Mia walked down the narrow hallway, passing the living room on the left and heading straight for the kitchen at the end of the short hallway.

Fred was right behind her taking in all the pictures on either side of the wall.

"Mum?" Mia walked through the kitchen door and Fred saw an older woman standing with the fridge open.

Mia frowned when her mum turned to her with no surprise like she was expecting her. But then her mum's face lit up when she took her in.

"Mia?" Her mum shut the fridge and made her way towards her, arms wide open.

Mia smiled and walked into her mum's embrace.
"Hi, mum."

"Oh, sweetheart." Her mum pulled back to look at her face. "Not that I'm not ecstatic to see you but what are you doing here? I thought you had to be with Izzy before she goes for the honeymoon."

"Yea, they took off right after the brunch."

"And Josie?" Her mum asked. "Did you bring her along?"

"No, mum." Mia looked at Fred who stood at the kitchen's entrance.

"But you brought someone else." Her mum smiled and walked past her towards Fred.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs Allen, I'm Frederick Zahn," Fred said as he offered her his hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet another of Mia's friends and please call me Flo."

"No one calls you Flo, mum."

"That's because they know me as Florence. I much rather like Flo, it's simple."

Mia shook her head with a hint of a smile on her lips which made Fred swallow.

"The door was left open when we arrived," Mia said. "Were you expecting someone?"

Florence frowned.
"Scarlet wasn't outside?"

"No mum."

"She must have had those earbuds in when I told her to get the rest of the groceries."

"They're AirPods, mum."

"Whatever."

"I'll get the groceries," Fred said.

"Oh, you don't need to..." But Fred had gone before Flo could get the rest of the words out. She turned to Mia and smiled. "He's a keeper."

"Just because he's getting the rest of the groceries?"

"Definitely." Florence nodded enthusiastically.

Mia laughed.

"How's work?" Flo went back to stuffing the groceries in their rightful place.

"Going good," Mia said as she took a seat in front of the kitchen counter, watching her mum.

"Working on anything presently?"

"I was before I left. But my co-workers are handling it." Mia said. "I should be able to make it in time for the final hearing in two days."

"Enough about work," Flo said. "How's Richard?"

Mia opened her mouth but Fred walked in with some bags, his eyes on her as he placed the bags on the kitchen counter. Flo didn't miss the looks that passed between them before Fred left again.