Chapter Six

It took Peter a while to make his way to the entrance of the Tower. Not because the subway was running late or because he got caught behind people. No, no, nothing like that. Nothing reasonable. It was his own fault. He practically spent an hour just staring at the Tower from across the street.

He was scared.

Which is stupid. It so stupid. It's not like Tony is gonna kill him or anything. Wade, maybe but not him. And sure he'll yell and scream and call him stupid, but it wasn't like he was going to hit him or anything. So, it was stupid. Irrational. Illogical.

Probably hormones.

Peter gulped, still staring at the Tower entrance. A few people were leaving, probably for early lunch or something which told Peter he'd been standing there like an idiot for over an hour.

He sighed. "This is so stupid."

He should just do this tomorrow, or the day after. Yeah, that was a good idea. Peter was exhausted, talking with May took a lot more out of him than he originally thought. He doesn't think he can handle a heart to heart with Tony right now.

Peter sighed again and turned to head back to the subway, then stopped. He still had to get his suit upgraded and he couldn't do that without going to see Tony. Maybe he can just give it to Pepper or Bruce to give to Tony, he could say he needed the extra padding because he kept getting punched.

"Peter?" He turned and saw Steve lightly running towards him, he stopped when he got close. He was wearing shorts and a tight shirt, probably out jogging. Didn't he jog super early though? Oh shit. Steve had super hearing, would he be able to hear the twins heartbeat? Wait, could Peter hear their heartbeat? He hasn't tried to. He was so doing that when he got home. "Hey kiddo."

Peter turned to face Steve fully, hoping the constant stream of people walking around them made it so he couldn't hear the twins. "Hey, Captain Rogers. What're you doing out here?"

Steve lifted up one shoulder. "Got back from a mission a few hours ago, just needed to clear my head a bit." He gave a soft smile that didn't reach his eyes. "I didn't know you were coming over today."

Peter shrugged, lifting his hand to scratch his head and have a nervous chuckle. He can't tell Steve about the twins, Tony would give him so much shit if he found out Peter told Steve before him. It wasn't really fair either, Tony's basically his dad, he has a right to know first (after Aunt May and Wade, of course). "Oh, I uh. Well." He swallowed. "I was just gonna see if Tony could upgrade my suit some."

Steve raised an eyebrow and glanced at the Tower entrance and Peter. "Then why are you way over here?"

"Oh, I'm just," Peter shrugged, looking down. "Thinking, I guess."

"Yeah?" Steve tilted his head towards a cafe a little across from them. "I know I'm not Tony, and we aren't too close, but if you want to talk we can."

"Thanks, Steve," Peter smiled up at the blond man. There weren't a lot of people in the cafe, if he couldn't hear their heartbeat now he definitely would be able to in there. "But I'm good. I think I'm just going to head home, but um, can you give my suit to Tony please?"

Steve nodded and reached out to grab the small bag Peter pulled out of his backpack that contained his suit. "Anything specific you want done?"

Peter bit his lip, he needed the extra padding. He couldn't risk the lives of his babies, he wouldn't. "Um, yeah. Some extra padding, around the abdomen of the suit. Some guy got in a few hits and it made me realize how important my organs are, ya know?"

"So I'm told." Steve turned and started walking towards the tower. "I'll see you later Pete!"

Peter almost let him go. Almost let him walk into the tower without saying anything else, he shouldn't say anything. Shouldn't draw attention just in case Steve decided to focus more on his stomach. "Um, Steve?"