Chapter 23 Berry Flavored Carbonated Water

I stared at Pierce as he calmly watched me. The slow realization that he was being serious slowly started to dawn. As I did, a shyness crept over me that was different from my usual reticence. As a grown man it seemed silly but what I really felt, if I were being honest, was bashful.

My cheeks pinkened and I suddenly realized that my mouth had slightly fallen open in my surprise. I quickly snapped it shut and dropped my eyes from his.

To borrow some time to gather my wits I grabbed a napkin and wiped at my mouth. That was when I made another realization. My hands were trembling slightly.

I quickly swiped at my mouth and lowered my hands to my lap, squeezing the soft paper cloth in my fingers to disguise the embarrassing giveaway.

All the while Pierce watched me. I felt sure he had seen everything. The trembling, the mouth gaping, the pink staining of my skin. Everything. Fighting past my natural reserve I looked back up and once again returned his unwavering stare.

He looked slightly amused but I couldn't get mad at him. I didn't really blame him at all. I'm sure my fumbling gawkiness had been silly to watch.

Frustrated with myself, I strove to find a reply but I wasn't sure what the right one would be. I didn't know if his offer had been serious or a joke.

If it had been a joke, then I could easily laugh it off though I wouldn't have found that sort of joke funny. But if he had been serious... I found myself stumbling over what answer I would give.

"Is it because you work for me that you're hesitating?" Pierce finally asked, making me jump a bit in startled surprise.

The silence that had followed his initial comment to be my plus one had been so noiseless that the sound of his voice when he spoke now felt like a bellow rather than the even tone it had been.

I shook my head no. I swallowed and licked my lips, trying to moisten my throat and mouth so that I could finally find my voice.

"That doesn't bother me at all," I finally said.

"That's good," Pierce said with a pleased expression. "And I was serious, by the way," he added, looking at me with a solemn expression. "I'll be your plus one. All you have to do is ask."

I nodded again in several short jerky movements and blinked what felt like several more. I licked my lips again, their texture feeling dry. I reached for my water and took a sip. The cool liquid hydrated my parched mouth and moistened my dry throat as I swallowed.

"I'd actually prefer not to wait till you have a next time, though as I have no idea when that will be. So, would you like to go out with me on Friday?"

His timing was impeccable. The cool clear water spewed forward as I choked mid-swallow in stunned shock. I covered my mouth as I wheezed and coughed but the damage had been done. Pierce was covered in berry flavored carbonated water.

I would have laughed in uncontrollable hysteria at the sight of his floored expression, only I couldn't. My body was still being rocked in a coughing fit, as I struggled to catch my breath.

My eyes watered as my throat spasmed; the burning carbonation not only having gone down but then again back up my throat burning somewhat. I feared some had come out of my nose as well and I crammed the napkin to my face, trying to dry it while preventing anything else from flying out.

I dreaded Pierce's reaction and I closed my eyes as the last lingering remnant of my coughing fit continued to plague me. My eyes flew open when I suddenly felt the warm weight of Pierce's body settle next to mine, and his large hand firmly, yet gently started to pat my upper back.