Chapter Two

"Donovan IV's Bookstore – Clock Repair in Back"

Elizabeth looked up at the sign, then back at Amanda. "This is it. George works here. I think."

She paused. "The instructions aren't written very well... anyway, as long as we didn't take a wrong turn at that street down there... oh, wait, that's a lamppost, not an intersection. All right."

Amanda turned to her. "Wait, a lamppost?"

"Yeah. Here, look." Elizabeth tilted the map so Amanda could get a better view.

"What? That's a lamppost? I mean – oh, I can see it now. Who gave you this map?"

"Liam. Don't worry; I didn't tell him anything about you and George. I just asked for directions to where George worked. Come to think about it, he did look a little off – and he drew a lamppost. Huh."

Amanda raised her eyebrows and started to say something, then shook her head. "I think I recognize that lamppost, but I don't know from where. Maybe – no. Never mind. Let's go in."

Elizabeth nodded, and they walked inside. Then she gasped, dropping her map in the process, but her surprise was not a product of the décor in the main room.

The shop was musty with little sunlight filtering from the large front window that was caked with mud. A candle flickered behind a curtain in the back, and everything was covered in dust a centimeter thick. But through the filthy appearance, and although the whole place was cluttered, the bookshelves were of a stellar craftmanship and all the books – oh, the books! Gold-leafed and silver-leafed, intricate designs, perfect copies, signed copies...

"Amanda, look here! Gorgeous notebooks – cheap ink, and decent quality too – feather quills – haven't seen those in forever – and then – Amanda!"

Elizabeth spun around in a circle, one step away from squealing. Not noticing the disgusted expression on Amanda's face at the atmosphere, she jumped over to her and placed a book in her hands.

"Oliver Twist," she read with a bored glance. "What is it?"

Lizzy groaned. "You don't know it? It's only my favourite book ever! Oh, the author's name is Charles Dickens. He lives right here in England! Isn't that great? Oh, my goodness! I wish I brought money – it's cheap, only a few shillings. Remarkable condition. Signed? Oh, no, that's just a fancy font. Oh, my, I can't handle this!"

"How may I help you?" said an Australian voice from the back.

Elizabeth jumped. "Oh, sorry, um, yes! No – actually," she turned to face him and began to ask a question. "Could you keep this on hold for me – uhh," she stopped short.

The man stared at her. "Andrea?" he whispered.

"Andrea?" Amanda stepped forward. "Who's Andrea? Elizabeth Mason, if you're not telling me something..."

Elizabeth shot a 'get me out of this' look at the dark-haired, blue-eyed seventeen-year-old standing in the back doorway.

"Oh, sorry, she just looks like someone I knew – my – sister's husband's... um, his daughter. Daughter's aunt. His sister. She reminded me of her."

Lizzy raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "That's – interesting. All right. Um, Amanda, do you have any shillings with you?"

"Uhh – no, no I don't. Excuse me, um, sir, just wondering if anyone named George had a job here."

"George? Hmm... George... no, not that I can remember. Why?" He cast a glance at Elizabeth and his face changed to worried. "Any – particular reason?"