Chapter Fifteen

"How was your sleep?" the man asked. "Oh, I'm Michael, by the way."

Lizzy waved the question away. This entire situation was beyond her comprehension. What on earth was happening? How did this happen?

Apparently she had asked these questions out loud, because Michael answered her.

"Well, you are going to be questioned today is happening, and we kidnapped you is what happened. How we kidnapped you is a secret." His tone was disturbingly cheerful for the cold room, and his voice echoed off the floors.

She thought she knew the answer to this next question, but she asked it anyway.

"Who's questioning me?"

He chuckled. "MNT, of course. Otherwise known as 'the boss'." He winked at her. "Better stay in line, or else, you know..."

He gestured up to several men standing guard high on platforms placed randomly on the walls. The were all holding rifles and Lizzy didn't have to be told that they knew exactly how to use them. She guessed that, if she looked up, there would be more of the wooden platforms attached to the wall. They probably surrounded the whole area. She saw two others standing by the thick oak door across the room, but they didn't look quite as experienced as the others – the guns were held clumsily and they both looked very young. Maybe if she could get over there without being seen, she could escape... somehow...

But that was a big 'if'. The men on the ledges looked pretty serious.

Suddenly, something occurred to her. "You said MNT was questioning me?"

Michael nodded. "The one and only!"

Didn't Amanda say MNT was leaving for Canada? Lizzy thought. Maybe he hasn't left yet.

She looked back over at the doors. Did they ever rotate guards? They had to at some point...

"I can tell you're thinking of ways to get through those doors." Said the man, lowering himself down onto the end of Lizzy's bed. His smile had disappeared. "Let me tell you, there is no chance of survival that way. Even if you got past these guys, there are hundreds more out there. This room is in the center of the whole building. That hallway out there is the main way out, and every minute that the sun is up, it is crawling with agents of every sort. There is a guard out there every minute of every day. They are always wide awake. They all have guns."

Michael patted her on the knee, his grin reappearing. "And I would really prefer that you didn't die, since MNT – aka 'the boss' – has entrusted your safety and health to me."

He stood up. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience of our security. Dinner is at six. The staff enter through that door, over there." he pointed to a wooden door that, until then, Lizzy hadn't noticed. It was on the opposite end of the wall that her bed was nearest to, and there weren't any guards around it – at least, on this side.

"They come from that direction, and not through the main doors, because they're less likely to drop the food – there aren't as many people to jostle them, if you know what I mean."

Lizzy nodded, masking her face with an expression of interest. In reality, all she wanted him to do was leave so she could think – think and process everything that had happened.

"Also, nobody eats the food that they bring in the back halls – before we had that side hallway built, the platters were much emptier after they were brought through there than they were when they left the kitchen." He laughed, standing up.

"Well, I'd best take my leave, if you know what I mean." Michael winked. Lizzy tried not to appear confused, nodding her head slowly. Why was he winking at her?