Chapter Ten

The next few days went by in a blur. Spring was long over; there was lots of work to do around the farm, and after supper they were figuring out a plan. Fortunately, Patrick was still resting and so he wasn't participating very much and couldn't ask about Lizzy's blunder – couldn't ask what Lizzy couldn't let her brother have. Unfortunately, it came up anyway when Finn remembered something Lizzy had said before the came to Northern Ireland.

"Remember when I suggested we do this in the first place?"

Lizzy nodded slowly. "Yes,"

"And Alexander refused to let you sell... something?"

Lizzy wanted to bury her face in her hands. "Yes." She muttered. She thought she had gotten out of this.

"Well – if you don't mind me asking, what were you talking about?"

Alexander shot her an anxious look, but his expression was also mildly curious as to how she would respond.

Lizzy looked around at everyone – Kit had no idea what this was about, and Marjorie didn't look like she remembered this conversation. Amanda looked eager to discover what this was about. Jack was examining his upper lip, it looked like – he was staring down, cross-eyed, with his lips sticking out. Everyone had pretty much ignored him for the few days he was there. He was planning to leave on Saturday, two days from then, and since he was quite entertaining, Lizzy was sure they would all miss him, at least a little bit – even though he made it difficult to concentrate at times, with all his random acts and comments.

Lizzy bit her lip, considering how to reply. She's told herself she would never show them this, but times had changed – even in a few days, everything could be different. And the information could help... she sighed. If she did tell them, they would be vulnerable to any agent who could be watching or listening, even though Lizzy didn't know how they could be listening. Although Amanda did give her that note – but what could it mean? Who could it be?

After a few more seconds of mental debate, Lizzy realized that even if there was a spy, they had to risk it. The information could be vital to their plan.

She took a deep breath. "The item was... something I intercepted. Something for someone else. With lots of information."

Marjorie and Amanda exchanged blank looks, but Lizzy knew Finn was thinking it through. She could almost see his gears turning. Suddenly, his eyes brightened subtly, and Lizzy knew he had figured it out. He always did.

"So, wait, you mean, you intercepted a clock? Where was it going?"

Lizzy shrugged. "I don't know. It didn't have a name on it."

Finn was getting excited now. "Did you bring it with you?"

"Of course! I bring it everywhere I go. I'm guessing you want to see it?"

Finn nodded vigorously, Kit looked completely confused, and Jack started trying to make his eyes look in two different directions. Amanda raised an eyebrow at him, mildly interested in his attempts. Lizzy rolled her eyes and left the house to find the clock among her luggage in the loft.

The clock wasn't very big, she knew, and she was sure she put it in her largest bag, but when she looked in there she couldn't see her satchel. "Where would I put it?" Lizzy muttered, looking around her spacious living quarters. The air held only a hint of smoke, since there had been a steady, pleasant breeze throughout the day. Several things of hers were sitting randomly around the loft – Lizzy knew she wasn't the neatest person, but she was sure she wouldn't throw this item about. She saw one of her smaller bags nearby, only about twice the size of the clock, but Lizzy decided she would look in it anyway. She hurriedly crossed the loft and knelt beside it. Her fingers, nimble as they were, fumbled on the clasp in her worry, but as soon as she got it open she saw her parcel. Her whole body sagged in relief as she sighed. Then she stood and made her way down the ladder.