VI.

The older woman took a sip of her tea that cooled down, and continued combing through her granddaughter's hair. "Of course, I didn't pretend I didn't know him. After enough teasing from Dolores, I eventually called him over to sit with us during lunch, and the teasing eventually stopped."

Dolores and Babe laughed, deep in conversation about something they saw on television. Eleanor never watched television because she was too busy helping out at the house after school. She bit back whatever she was feeling and played around with her food on her tray, suddenly no longer hungry.

"Right, Eggs?" She heard Babe ask, and she whipped her head up to face him.

"I'm sorry I didn't.." she trailed off.

"I was just telling Dolores about the lake we found during the summer." Babe replied, and Eleanor suddenly felt sick. It was their lake, there was a reason she never mentioned it to anyone. She simply nodded, and slowly stood up.

"I just remembered," Eleanor mumbled, taking her tray, "I have homework I haven't finished. I'll do it in the library."

She quickly walked off without looking at them, jealousy deep in her heart. Eleanor knew she wasn't pretty enough, but she hadn't nearly felt uglier than she did when she realized she was angry at Dolores for simply talking to him. It was a horrible feeling, and Dolores was her best friend.

She pushed open the library door, making her way to a table at the end, away from everyone else. Sitting herself down, Eleanor took out a book from her bag and began reading it. Despite being in the world of dragons and kings, princesses and their knights, witches and their poison, Eleanor's mind was everywhere else.

Eleanor genuinely felt horrible. She loved her best friend, and should have been happy that she was getting along with Babe so well. But for some reason, she wasn't. She was upset with him for telling her about their lake. She was upset with him for paying more attention to Dolores than he did to her. What was this she was feeling?

The bell rang signifying the end of lunch break. Eleanor hadn't even flipped a page on her book.

Finding herself back in class, Eleanor silently sat down on her chair. Dolores was already seated, and her friend looked up at her expectantly. She tried to smile at her, but could only give a half-hearted one. "You okay, El?"

"I'm fine," she nodded in response, then brought a finger to her lips, "Shh. Our sub is here." And that ended their conversation for the day. Dolores didn't push her further to explain, and walked silently with her out of school once the day was over.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Eleanor mumbled. As she turned to leave, Dolores grabbed her hand and pulled her into a tight hug.

"I love you, alright," she whispered, "I'll see you tomorrow."

Hand around the strap of her sidebag, Eleanor kicked at falling leaves as she made her way home. The trees were turning bright orange and red, a lot like Babe's hair. Eleanor hit her forehead with her palm. There she went again, Babe this, Babe that. Why couldn't he just leave her mind altogether?

"Eleanor!"

Now she hears him too? It was bad enough that she imagined his face all the time, even worse now that she'd started hearing him.

"Eleanor, wait up!" she paused and turned around. No, she hadn't imagined it. Babe was bounding down towards her, "I thought you said you wouldn't ignore me?" She knew it was a joke, but felt guilty.

Eleanor stopped to wait for him to catch up, before turning back around to continue heading home. "You okay, Eggs?" the young man frowned, turning to face her as they walked back. Eleanor simply nodded, but chose to keep quiet instead. She was not okay, definitely. But she had no idea how to express it.

After a few minutes of walking in silence, they had reached his house. He waited expectantly for her to say something, but when she didn't, he turned away in disappointment and began to head in the door.

"Babe," Eleanor suddenly said, surprising not only him, but also herself, "Why did you tell her about the lake? It was our lake."

Babe smiles softly, taking her hand in his, "If that's what you were so upset about, why didn't you just tell me?" His tone was light, but it went straight to her heart anyway. He noticed the change in her expression and continued, "She can know everything about our summer, but she'll never understand how it felt in those fields."

That was enough to win back her heart. "Alright, fine." she smiled, pulling her hand away.

"Good," he chuckled, before looking down at his feet, "Because I was kinda wondering if you wanted to go out for a milkshake or something?"

A blush creeped on her cheeks, but Eleanor didn't mind. Nodding, she replied, "Sure, if you promise to buy more eggs."

"I thought our relationship was way past that!"

Then two milkshakes between us eventually became just one milkshake between them.