VIII.

"Eleanor," Amelia said, lifting her head and wagging her finger like her grandmother had done to her so many times, "You two did not do the dirty by a lake. I need you to tell me that isn't true!"

Her grandmother's eyes flashed in horror and she covered her mouth, "We did no such thing! My Babe was not like that." She leaned back in her rocking chair and smiled, reminiscing, "He kissed me, brushed off all the dirt that was on my clothes, and walked me home. He waited till I he saw me by my window before leaving."

It was the start of fall of 1942.

She and Babe had been dating for nearly a year now. He still called her Eggs, but a long list of pet names were added to it, like darling and honey. But Eggs was still her favorite.

They were seated by the lake once more, this time with their backs to each other. He leaned his head back, resting it on her shoulder. "Okay, your turn." he said, scratching his ankle. The grass around the lake had gotten taller and tickled their ankles.

"I wanna move to New York," she whispered in response. They had done this often, turning their backs to each other so they could share secrets. "I get really jealous whenever Dolores stays with her aunt during summers, but I can't help but listen to all the stories she tells. New York sounds magnificent."

"We could go," Babe replied, placing his hand gently on hers.

"I would like that," she smiled, turning her head to see him from her peripheral, "I would like that a lot." Eleanor paused, imagining the two of them taking a boat to see the Statue of Liberty. Babe would probably have his arms around her, right?

"Your turn," Eleanor said, nudging him with her elbow. "Give me a secret."

She felt Babe stiffen behind her, and fought the urge to turn to face him. "Promise me you won't get mad," he replied, his voice barely above a whisper. Eleanor nudged him again, urging him to tell her. "I enlisted. For the Airborne."

The Airborne. Men who enlisted would jump out of planes. Her cousin had signed up as well. The image of them on a boat together disappeared, and was replaced with one of him falling from a plane. "You can't jump from a plane, you'll splat on the ground!" she exclaimed, turning to face him and holding him by his shoulders.

"Parachutes exist, Eggs." he whispered, knowing full well that wasn't what she was upset about. "And besides, they get paid $50 more. Pa could use the extra money." Babe sheepishly grinned, though it never reached his eyes.

Eleanor stayed silent, her arms going limp on her sides, "When do you go?"

"Next week. Thursday."

"Thursday?" she nearly yelled, covering her mouth in horror, "And you only chose to tell me now? I can't believe you, Babe!"

"I didn't know how to tell you," he tried to defend himself, moving closer to her, but Eleanor moved away, "I knew you'd disagree."

"I do disagree." she whispered, refusing to look him in the eye, "You can't leave me."

"I'm not leaving you," Babe raised his voice, grabbing her hand but the young woman wouldn't listen. She snatched her hand away. "I'm coming back."

She pressed her hands against her chest, looking down at her lap, tears falling from her eyes. "How do you know that?"

"What?" he couldn't believe his ears, his voice awfully quiet, "What did you just say?"

"How do you know you're coming back, Babe?" Eleanor practically shouted, the entire forest coming to like at the sound of her voice. A flock of birds flew out from a tree behind her, the sound of their wings flapping silencing them both.

"I thought you'd have more faith in me, Eleanor Robinson," Babe mumbled, standing and dusting off his pants.

Eleanor walked home on her own that afternoon.