Hidden Motives

"You know the Lord of Time?" Luke asked me, anxiety clear on his face.

I nodded. "How could I not?"

Luke took a breath. "Well, see, ever since the gods cut him up and tossed him into Tartarus, he's been trying to . . . come back."

I nodded. "And?"

"And, well, I want revenge on the gods. He came to me in a dream and offered me a deal."

"Help him gain back power and you'll get your revenge," I filled in as calmly as I could.

"Yes," Luke finished.

Silence settled in as I pretended to be absorbing the information.

"Well?" Luke prompted, his eyes scanning my face.

I hesitated. I didn't want to sound too eager, or he'd become suspicious, but, on the other hand, I did need to join him. "It's a lot to take in," I finally said.

"Yeah, I know," Luke said, running a hand through his hair.

I nodded. "I don't know. I mean, I want revenge, but still . . . His reign wasn't exactly better than the gods."

"No, it's not going to be like that this time," Luke reassured me. "He'll keep the strongest of us-the ones who serve him-in power. We'll be able to do what we will with the world."

I nodded and stared out at the rest of the camp. Percy had just left with Annabeth and Grover, and Luke was now telling me about Kronos. I didn't know what I should do. Should I just let the subject drop and then come back to it, like I'd given a lot of thought? Or should I ask now, so he'd know that I was serious about it?

After a few minutes of silence, I made my decision.

Hesitating, I asked, "If I did want to join, how would I do that?"

I expected Luke to perk up with excitement and tell me exactly how I could join.

His actual reaction was the very last thing I expected him to do.

Luke blanched. "Okay, look Rianna. I didn't tell you because I want you to join me. I told you because I trusted you with this information and I felt that you would understand. And I want you to know about this part of me."

Confused, I cocked my head. "Isn't wanting me to join why you'd tell me?"

"Well, yes, but I don't want you to join," Luke said.

Now I was seriously, genuinely confused. Like actually. Not pretending. "Why don't you want me to join?"

"I-because-I-I don't want you caught up in this mess!" Luke sputtered. "It's going to be dangerous, bloody, harsh-"

"Hold up," I said, cutting him off. "Let me get this straight. You don't want me to join your cause because you don't want me in danger? Is that right? Even if I did want to join because I think your right and the gods are fucked up?" I stared at him in disbelief.

"Yes!" Luke said in frustration. "I want to keep you out of this mess and safe."

Now I was pissed and crossed my arms over my chest. "Safe? I can handle myself. If I recall correctly, I was the one who handed you your ass in the training ring not a week ago."

"Yeah, I know, but can you just please keep this information to yourself and stay out of my mess?"

"I can take care of myself!" I shot back. "Why do you even care?"

"Gods, why do you have to make this so hard for me?"

"Wh-what?" I replied.

Luke stepped forwards, pinning in place with his piercing blue eyes. "Why do I care? I care because I don't want you to get hurt or die. I care because I care about what happens to you."