ch. 26 • aftermath

As soon as the elevator opened after the long ride up to Roman's floor, I saw him standing there, with a worried look that immediately decreased when he saw me. I hadn't even properly stepped out when he came and embraced me.

"Shee-it!" Roman yelled as he hugged me tight. Like really tight that I couldn't breathe. But I let him. I felt Roman's heartbeat racing. His familiar cologne and cool, linen shirt gave me a sense of peace after the chaotic scenery of the lab. "Are you okay? I was so fucking worried something happened to you. Why was your phone switched off? You have no fucking clue what you just put me through."

He finally let go, and I looked at him. He was still breathing hard and looked more concerned than I had ever seen on his face. It came back. "I'm fine. My phone died. But it's okay. I'm fine."

"We're going to my office. Now," his voice cold again. He wouldn't let his eyes leave me. I was scared at how concerned he was. When we got there, one of Roman's assistants was bombarding him with news of what was happening downstairs.

"I'll be there. Give me a second, will you?" Roman scolded and then entered his room and locked the door behind us.

"Will you be kind enough to finally fucking tell me something about what just went on? I know you know, so don't you dare try to lie to me right now. There's authorities downstairs, and I need to give them an answer."

"Pryce was running another secret lab without your consent or knowledge. He told me about it several months before, but I couldn't do anything about it. You hated me too. There was nothing I could do to get anyone to believe me. So I took matters into my own hands. I made a trade. He shuts up about the money, I shut up about the lab. But when he blackmailed you, I decided that was it. I called the authorities. In return, I kept Pryce safe. Neither he nor you are associated with the lab. I removed any evidence that points towards him. Instead, I just called the authorities to take out the illegal stuff he's been doing. And when I called, I specifically told them you didn't know about it. Someone was doing this behind your back with your money."

Roman stood there for a moment, absolutely stunned. He regained his senses and said, "Wait, why did you think I wouldn't believe you? I know that bastard 10 times better than you do. I know he'd be up to something like that. What I don't get is why he'd agree to you. Are you sure there's nothing more to this deal?"

I couldn't tell him about the blood satiation part. That was too much. "No, there isn't," I lied.

"Even if you put my name out of this, it's my company. Pryce works under me. This will be all over the news," Roman put his hands on his head and gripped on to the hair caught in between his fingers in pure frustration and fear. "How many times have I told you to tell me what was going on between you two?! How many times? You know what? Forget it. I have to go downstairs," he huffed, opened the door, then slammed it very loudly on the way out. I shuddered by instinct.

I left out so much in a hurry to explain everything to Roman. That's why he was scared. This was a well-thought out plan. I was confident nothing would happen. I just hoped he'd not lose his mind, especially with Pryce. With my phone still dead, the charger at home, and negative thoughts buzzing my mind, I waited impatiently. Time wasn't moving, and no one from downstairs came back up. Constantly looking at the clock wasn't helping either. I couldn't even sit still.

After what seemed like an eternity, Roman came back up, seeming much calmer than when he left.

"What happened," I eagerly asked.

"They asked me simple questions and wanted to see some budget files and inventory. They basically shut the lab down with tape and removed practically everything. It took a while, but it's like an empty lot now."

"Oh, good. What did you see inside?" I asked.

"Well, it was definitely unused for some time. Half the lights wouldn't turn on. The department made do, of course. I figured out what Pryce was up to."

"Weren't the stuff..old?"

"Yeah, but I didn't exactly have to look at the stuff to figure out the general picture. It definitely had to do with Olivia."

"Olivia?" I asked, surprised. "I mean, she might have known but how is she involved?"

"I'll tell you later. For now, I've had enough of today with everything here. Come on, let's go," Roman said.

During our ride home, he resumed the conversation. "Pryce was trying to help treat Olivia. She's a gone case, of course."

"Wait, so that means once there was no hope of her returning to normal, he had no purpose in running the lab?" I looked at Roman. He kept his eyes on the road, and his hands gripped his steering wheel tightly.

"Pretty much. I think he made my blood substitutes there too. But you know, I have a stock," he said as he put pressure on the gas pedal.

"Right," I said. It hit me that if I wasn't working on a more permanent solution for Roman, he wouldn't have anything but real, human blood to stop his hunger. Pryce's illegal lab was shut. But he stopped working for Olivia's treatment. Then why did he ask for the money?

When we got home, Roman took off his coat, swung it over his right shoulder, retreated to his room and asked Comway to not disturb him for anything. I decided I needed to charge my phone and catch up with Daniel.

Daniel basically told me what everyone else had. He was asked simple questions. No one suspected him. And he didn't really pay attention to anything rather than what I asked him to do.

There were still unanswered questions like why Pryce wanted the money. Maybe just because? I don't know. And I still had no clue what conversation went on between Olivia and Roman. And I had a feeling Roman wasn't going to tell me. I had to figure out something or lay it to rest.

After the day's many, many events, it finally hit me that the solution I had worked so, so hard on was now Pryce's. It was a product of dedication, time, patience, and lots of sneaking around. And I just gave it away. I made it for Roman. And I gave it away from Roman. Why on earth did I care so much about what happened to him? He didn't seem to give two rips about me or about anything I went through. I was so out of touch with my own feelings, and tonight was not the time to reconnect with them. I felt like crying. I wasn't sure why, but there were just emotions building up without any way or release. And I was exhausted. It was time to sleep.