ch. 40 • epilogue

"Ro, do I look okay?" I asked, putting on an earring.

Roman came from behind me and looked into the mirror. He was wearing a grey t-shirt and his dress pants from work. "You look gorgeous, like always. Look at you serving people all day at the hospital immediately coming home to host guests," he said, burying his face in the crook of my neck.

I shivered, feeling the touch of his lips on my skin. "Hey, thanks for giving me a ride home."

Roman placed a kiss on my neck. "You know, I can always drive you to and from. No need for you to take your car if we work in the same place," he said, lips still grazing over my skin. Three years and his touch still made me shiver. But in a good way.

"I know, I know. I just don't want anyone working in the Tower's hospital to look at me any differently just because I'm your wife. Like, I worked hard for my degree," I said looking up at the mirror to see if I looked alright.

"I get that," Roman said, lifting his head up to kiss my head. "Peter and Letha should come any second now. And my trusted advisor," he said, clicking his tongue.

"And to think you hated Daniel once," I shook my head. "I can't believe they're going to be parents!" I squealed. Every time I thought of it, I got so excited. "This is going to be one spoiled baby." It took Peter a whole year after me getting (actual) married to Roman to decide he wants to be very confident about asking Letha to marry him. And of course, she asked yes even before he finished his sentence. And now another year later, they were going to be parents. They honestly had the perfect love story. It was so pure and so beautiful.

"Hey, I'm going to go downstairs to check up on the food. Wear a nice shirt. And don't be too mean to Daniel. And don't pick on Peter," I made a fake frowny face at Roman.

Roman laughed. "Fine, fine. I'll stop from teasing him tonight. But tomorrow, I start again."

I rolled my eyes. "I think I live with a middle school boy."

Roman turned me around, so I was facing him. "I sure don't kiss you like one, though," he said, attaching his lips to mine. I kissed him back. He cupped my face and wanted this to go on forever, but I pulled away, leaving him a little frustrated.

"Gosh, Ro, keep it in your pants please. At least until they leave. And please, please wear a nice shirt."

"You're paying for this tonight," he said with a fake annoyed expression.

I came over and kissed him on the cheek. "Gladly." Then I headed towards the door but turned to say, "I love you."

Roman looked at me, with gentle eyes and a wide grin. "I love you too, baby. I'll be down in a sec."

I nodded and closed the door to our bedroom. I couldn't believe Roman was mine. Or that we've been together for three years. Or that under the angst, anger, and moodiness, there was this beautiful and actually misunderstood, loveable person. Or that every single thing in my life had fallen apart and put back together just because of a bloody contract.

►▸final note:

ahh, you guys! this has been fun to write, and I hope you had just as much fun reading it. thank you so much for voting and for reading this. I appreciate it so much. hope you all are safe and are following all necessary precautions!

also, I guess people might ask why Liana wasn't described at all, in terms of physical appearance. it's bc I wanted you to think of yourself as Liana. so no matter what shape, size, color you are, she can be too. in this story, she befriended people and Roman fell for her because of her kindness, not looks. goes to show you that outer beauty and features have nothing on inner beauty. thank you again for reading!! much love ♡ k