ch. 34 • he knew

I was informed that there was another charity event at the White Tower, which meant a whole night of pretending to be in love with Roman. That wasn't really hard to do anymore. He and I have come a long way from just hating each other and yelling more than talking. We were friends now.

All morning, after sending Comway to tell me, Roman seemed to avoid me. He looked tense. But he was tense most of the time regarding the company. And he was more often than not in a bad mood, so I decided not to talk to him about it at all.

For the evening, I decided to slip on my wedding ring tonight. Somehow this time, it felt more right. It didn't have to symbolize marriage. But we were friends. It could symbolize that. I wish he saw me more than that sometimes. But I get it; he hasn't ever seen a stable relationship. And not to mention he did come with some baggage. So I respected his sentiments of not wanting anything more.

I wore a lavender chiffon gown and crystal earrings. I hope it looked expensive enough for people to take me seriously as Roman's wife. It still felt weird to say. I decided to do something I hadn't done in the past- put my hair down.

I came down to see Roman in the foyer. His tense look had disappeared. Roman looked at me like he was amazed. I don't know why. He probably noticed the ring because he smiled and went to the car without saying anything and actually held the door open for me this time.

Our drive to the institute was silent but a peaceful silent. Until I broke it by saying, "Roman, this time I promise I'll stay the entire night." He nodded. That's when I noticed that tense look was still there; he just hid it. What was he so worried about?

"I know you will. You look, um, beautiful," Roman said, but he let out a sigh too.

"Thank you, Mr. Godfrey. You look handsome, as always." Roman looked at me, gave me a half smile, then focused back on the road.

"Hey, I wanted to talk to you about Pryce," I said.

Roman held the brakes. His face looked so worried. "What, now?" he asked, his voice a notch higher.

"I just wanted you to raise his salary. I mean he helped you, right?"

Roman seemed to tighten his grip upon hearing that. "He did..." he said. There was more to the sentence he didn't say.

"Is this about the new lab?"

"Oh, so he told you?" I was surprised Pryce went ahead and actually told Roman.

Roman looked angry. "I don't see why we need to discuss this now, Liana. It isn't the right time." Roman started the car back and drove fast. I kept my mouth shut. Way to go ruining my entire mood, Godfrey.

When we reached the Tower, Roman got out and tried to straighten the shirt inside. I just waited.

Roman sighed, "Ready?" I was until you ruined my mood.

"Yeah," was all I said. I didn't want to talk.

We went in and just like last time, all eyes were on us. I knew that all the women were probably burning from jealousy. But they didn't know the real picture. If they did, how many of them would actually stay?

It was the typical event except Roman had to make a small speech on behalf of Olivia at the beginning. Then it was the normal going around with Roman, fake-smiling, pretending to be the perfect couple. Thankfully this time, he didn't kiss me or wander off with one of the blonde, long-legged beauties who eyed on him.

During one conversation, he praised me. He was a good actor. Good enough that I kept falling for it despite me knowing the truth.

In the middle of the event, when all the guests cluttered into their little groups, Roman excused himself and went out to one of the verandas. I figured it would be best to follow him.

He lit a cigarette and looked at the dark sky. He didn't notice me. Like always, he looked extra beautiful when the moonlight hit him. It accentuated his cheekbones. His green eyes seemed darker than they were, and it seemed like his skin was like fine porcelain. His hair was slicked back and looked as soft as ever. Sometimes I forgot just how handsome he was. But once glance at him would make me remember pretty quickly.

Once I got out of my trance, I asked, "Is everything alright? Roman?"

"Huh? Yeah, everything is fine. I see you wore the wedding ring," he changed subjects. I went along.

"Oh yeah, I decided I wanted to start wearing it again. Just because."

"I mean it always makes this whole thing more believable", he said as he blew out a puff of smoke.

"Right," I said softly. My feelings sunk low again. Why on earth do I keep forgetting he doesn't actually care? "Whenever you're ready to go back in," I said as I faced the door. There were people mingling and laughing. Whoever they were, they seemed happy.

"Why don't we just stay here? I need to clear my head. Unless you want to go in. Then you can," Roman said.

I don't know what came over me, but I took Roman's cigarette from his hand, put it out, and threw it in the trash. Then I put my palms around his face. "Hey, what's wrong? You've been acting off ever since this morning."

"I know what you're doing," he finally said. I looked at him in confusion. "The whole satiating my blood thirst. Giving it to Pryce. Stopping him from blackmailing me. I got to know about it, and you don't need to know how." My hands fell from his face.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Was it Pryce? Pryce lies all the time. You know that," I explained.

Look, I'll-I'll be honest with you. This whole issue with me and my blood-thirst, you don't have to worry about. You don't actually have to follow through with whatever the minister made you say at the altar. You know that. Liana, I want us to end the contract."

My eyes started welling with tears. I looked straight down.

Roman got it all wrong. "No, no, no, if you're thinking about PA school, I'll still pay for it. I've seen how hard you work, and you totally deserve to make your dreams come true. I'll still help you. You only have a semester to go, right? But you just don't have to be my wife anymore."

"Roman," my lips quivered. "What makes you think I'm going to leave you completely alone like this. I can't leave you. I don't want to."

"But why?" he asked. "Clearly this won't work out. You tried adapting to the upir thing but you had to leave for two weeks. What makes you think this will work? It's a two year contract anyway, and we're almost halfway there."

"Roman, why don't you understand? I don't know how you feel about me, but I care too much to just leave you starving. It isn't fair to you, and if I can do something about it, I will. I am not going to leave. You're not going to make me."

"Liana, try to understand. You've done way more than needed. More than I could ever ask for. Staying with me won't help you get anything. You don't deserve to be constrained in this marriage. Olivia bound you with conditions you didn't even consent to. If I knew what she did, I would never have signed it. I am a monster I know, but I can promise I'm not her and won't be."

I put my hands on Roman's shoulders. "You don't understand, do you? I don't care about me. I just want you to be okay."

Roman grabbed my waist and pinned me to the wall, hidden from everyone at the gala. "That's exactly it. I am way more okay now than I was in the past. Stop being so stubborn. Stop."

"But Ro-"

He pressed his lips on mine. "Shut up. You talk too much. Way too much."

I pulled away. "Friends don't do this."

"You know what, fuck that. Forget I ever said that," Roman whispered as he put his lips on mine again.

"Roman, stop," I said. He surprisingly did. "I can't do this".

"It was the only way to get you to stop talking," was all Roman had said before I went inside. Roman followed me. We kept close, but he talked mostly with other men in high-end suits and fancy ties. I just wandered off into space and admired the pretty girls from afar. They were all Roman's some night or the other.