twenty six

Stella's POV:

As I listened to the briefing on the plane, and examined the photos, my mind kept wandering in and out of conversation.

Case, Spencer. Case, Spencer. Case, Spencer.

Mainly the case though. It amazes me how with as many times that this has happened in New York City, that nobody has seen or noticed the shooter.

I get that with the noise of New York that it wouldn't be heard, but still, how did nobody notice a hooded man walking away from a now dead body?

The team dispersed, and I shut the case file in front of me, leaning back in my seat as JJ takes the seat directly in front of me.

I sigh. "JJ..."

The blonde cuts me off. "Stella, I'm not going to tell anyone." She states in a hushed tone. "I just want details, as a friend. How long has this been going on for?"

I shrugged. "Awhile, if I'm being honest. Nothing is official though. Just, well, hookups? I don't know if that is the correct term considering we both have feelings for each other."

JJ gave a half-smile. "I have always suspected that something was going on between you two. I mean, everyone has since you joined this team."

At the sound of JJ's words, my eyes grew wide. "Seriously?"

JJ chuckled. "Don't act like you didn't know that we knew. Remember when Derek and Emily saw him kiss you after we busted that trafficking ring? All those late night coffee trips you guys went on? 'Pizza and movies' the other night?"

I looked down at my shoes and bit my lip. She was right, and she wasn't even near how much had gone down between us.

"You're right." I mutter. "There's a lot that we let slip. I guess we just didn't want the wrath from the Bureau about fraternization. Plus, I feel like it would complicate things within the team. For example, what if we broke up, and it was messy? We probably wouldn't be able to work together after that."

JJ rested her arms on the table. "Stop thinking about the what-if's, Stella. We only get one chance at this thing called life, and with this job, you never know when it's going to be cut short. So why wait?"

I nipped at the inside of my cheek. "You know what? You're right." I look over at Spencer who is on the other side of the plane, concentrating on his book. "Should I go tell him how I feel now?"

JJ also turned around in her seat and saw the same thing as me. "I think you should." She stated, nodding in his direction.

I took a deep breath and nodded before standing up and walking over towards Spencer.

As I sat down, I glanced at everyone else on the plane, and they were fast asleep. Aside from JJ and Spencer, of course.

"Hey Spence, can we talk about something?"

Spencer glanced up from his book and shut it softly, focusing all of his attention on me before nodding. "Yeah."

I exhaled, trying to find the right words to say. "Fuck the fraternization policy."

Spencer furrowed his eyebrows. "W-What?"

"Spencer, I want to be with you. I know we could make this work. We've been testing the waters for way too long, and the fact that we've been doing what we have been doing for a year without any sort of setbacks, shows that there's something more than just a spark." I continue. "There's more than just a silly hookup. When I look at you, I see my future. I want you to be my boyfriend, is what I'm trying to say."