Chapter Eight: Still

Grant prowled ahead, while wolves stopped talking to watch them walk past. She'd thought they'd head to one of the many tents lined up in blocks opposite the alpha's tent, but instead they headed a short distance away to where three tents sat in a line.

Perhaps Grant scented her confusion because as they approached he said, "this is where the women live. Fitz likes to keep them separate."

Callie tried not to show her shock and instead just nodded and followed him to the third tent. The ground was soft beneath her feet, the grass well-worn until it was nothing but mud. She grimaced as her shoe squelched into a puddle.

The third tent clearly belonged to someone else, their scent still lingering in the air as Callie walked inside, Grant right behind her. "It's not much, but it should do you," Grant said, his breath tickling the back of her neck.

Callie flinched and spun around, putting distance between them. He chuckled, making Callie's skin crawl.

"You'll make a nice addition to the pack, I reckon." Grant said quietly as he stepped towards her, smiling wider as she flinched. "I know Fitz doesn't want any of us to mate but-" he stepped right into her personal space, a hand raising to cup her cheek.

Fear shot through her, her heart fluttered in her chest. A familiar terror crawled up her spine and wrapped tightly around her throat until she could barely speak.

"- I'm hoping he'll make an exception with you. Whoever tames you as theirs will make a fine alpha." He took another step into her until she could feel his chest pressing against hers, one hand still holding her cheek, another slipping around her waist and ghosting up her back. He leaned down and for one gut wrenching second, she feared he was going to kiss her.

His beard grazed her skin as he slid his cheek across hers and whispered into her ear, "I know I'd be at the front of the queue." His breath was warm, wet in her ear and she swallowed the bile that rose as his hands trailed her body before he stepped back with a cocky smile. "I can hear your heart. It's like music."

Yes, rapid and violent music that was beating so fast she feared she might die.

"See you later, little wolf." He said with such promise that the moment he'd walked away, Callie turned and vomited onto the muddy floor.