Chapter Twenty Three: Forgive

KENNEDY

She didn't want to do this. It wasn't fair. Wasn't right. But she didn't have a choice.

As the two wolves slept soundlessly curled around one another, she searched through each of their bags in turn. It was a square of paper, her alpha had said, with a blue border around the edge. There'd be a stamp on the bottom right hand corner which would glow green in the sunlight. That was how she'd know it was the original. The deed to the Shadow Valley lands.

That was the price to get her cub back.

And so, for her son, she searched through the deadly predator's bags. Only for him, would she risk it. She ignored the voice screaming in her head to stop, as she ignored the kindness Callie had offered her.

Kennedy really hadn't thought Callie was going to come back, and by the time her alpha had explained to her what she needed to do, she hoped Callie wouldn't. But then, there she was. A deadly shadow at her side.

And Callie had fallen hook, line and sinker for Fitz's plan. It was Grant, she supposed, that had tipped him off to the promise Callie had made her. Only he would have been low enough to spy on the visiting she-wolf.

She was glad that beast was dead and would owe Callie more than she could ever tell her for killing him. But that didn't change the facts: Fitz had her cub and wouldn't return him until she'd got the deed. Maybe not even then. She wasn't stupid, she knew that Fitz enjoyed the power he wielded over her. With her cub under his control, he had total power over her - had for months. She hated him.

The bags were empty of any official looking documents and Kennedy slowly snuck back towards her makeshift bed. They hadn't anticipated this. Fitz had been sure they'd go straight back to Shadow Valley. But, not all hope was lost, maybe his parents would have it.

Maybe.

And in the meantime, she could only hope that Fitz kept his promise, and kept her son safe.

Once again, Kennedy regretted ever meeting the Nettlecomb pack. Yet her wolf, as beaten and battered as she was, had hope. She'd taken one look at Callie and had known that there was an alternate ending for them that didn't involve her at the mercy of the cruel alpha and his men. Because, Callie was special. Kennedy was sure of it.

She could only hope that the she-wolf could forgive her.