Chapter Thirty Six: Clues

Later that day, Vik and Callie found the majority of the Magnum pack in the lake. It was a scorching hot day and they were seeking refuge in the cool waters.

"Want to join them?" Vik asked, though she could see his wolf raging in his eyes. He didn't like being on a stranger's pack territory, liked it even less knowing Callie and Caleb's history, and he certainly didn't want like being so close to a pack that clearly considered Callie one of them. Yet for her, he would do it.

"Yes," she said enthusiastically, already pulling her top over her head and shimmying out of her jeans. Vik's eyes caught and lingered on her body, all manner of thoughts cycling through his eyes. "Down boy," she teased when his gaze lingered a little too long.

He smiled a feral smile that sent her heart racing and strode towards her with a predatory glint in his eye. He reached her and fell to his knees before her.

Her heart somersaulted in her chest. "What are you doing?" she demanded, her voice shrill as she looked around her for witnesses.

He looked up at her, smiling that same feral smile.

But then simply untied his shoes.

She growled low in her throat. He chuckled and stood up, his hand loosening his belt before he shucked out of his jeans. He took his top off with one hand and she marvelled at how he'd done it so easily.

He tucked an arm around her waist. "Come on then. Race you?" He kissed her swiftly on the cheek and then made a run for the water.

She squealed and chased after him, ploughing into the water just before he did. He tackled her into the cooling depths and they resurfaced, laughing and splashing.

"Seriously, you too!" Kennedy complained. Callie tore her lips from Vik's, not having realised that she was even in the water.

"Oh, hi Ken'!" she offered with a smile, noting the audience they had. "Hi everyone."

A few of the wolves blushed, others chuckled or shared knowing glances. Felicity's eyes sparkled as she smiled. She looked almost happy to see them both. Maybe she was getting used to Vik.

Callie scanned the waters and frowned. "Is Henderson not here? I wanted to apologise for running out on him earlier."

Felicity shook her head. "No, he doesn't like the water. It agitates his injury."

Callie nodded, loving the soft lapping of the icy water against her heated skin. "What happened to his leg?" she asked conversationally as she sank under the water until only her head was on show. Vik hovered beside her, fingers reaching out and tracing her skin.

Felicity shrugged and splashed water over herself. "It's a very old injury, he's had it for decades. By the way, if you wanted to speak to Grace, you'll find her sun bathing alone like the shrivelled prune she is."

Callie laughed at the clear distaste she had for her but nodded in thanks. "Great, I'll go now, thanks!"

"Good luck!" Felicity called as Callie extricated herself from Vik's insistent hands, promising to meet him later at the house, and headed for her clothes.

*

As Felicity had promised, Grace was alone.

She cracked open an eye and sighed in irritation. "What do you want?" she snapped.

"Nice to see you too," she muttered, helping herself to a seat on the floor beside the old she-wolf. "You know, considering you don't know me, you don't seem to like me very much," she said as she stole a grape from a bowl sat next to a magazine.