Chapter Twenty Five: Give

"What were you doing?" Vik spat, at her, Callie realised when his mother didn't respond.

"I was making a point," Callie spat back, her anger still burning through her system.

Vik's mother had a hand over her face and she groaned lightly. Vik's touch was light as he checked his mother for other wounds, genuine concern on his face. If only he knew what she thought of him. Callie felt sick. Angry and sick.

The door flew open behind them and the alpha came raging in. "What the hell is going on?" he boomed in that voice of his. Taking one look at the state of his mate and Vik's hands on her, and he automatically come to the wrong conclusion. He looked ten seconds away from killing his own son. Callie readied herself to jump into his path when Vik's mother spoke.

Her voice was weakened but held a steel to it, "I asked our visitor for an example of her power. And I got a little more than I bargained for."

Callie span towards her and raised an eyebrow. Vik glanced from his mother to Callie and back again, confusion and distrust colouring his face. "You did?" he asked his mother gently.

The woman nodded and brushed his hands from her. "Yes. And I'm fine, stop fussing. Introduce me to our guest."

Vik bristled at his mother's cold tone and Callie's wolf growled in anger. She was in agreement. She didn't like this woman.

The alpha walked around the desk to stand beside his mate, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder as Vik scooted around the other side to stand next to Callie.

He cleared his throat and Callie cast him a look, realising he was nervous. Nervous to introduce her to his parents. She wanted to laugh.

"Jenson, Tara," he addressed them by their names. It was cold, Callie thought, detached. Her heart ached for him. "This is-"

"Beverley..." his father, Jenson, whispered as he finally focused on Callie. His knees buckled and he caught himself on the desk. Vik's mother's, Tara's, face flashed with concern but she looked at Callie, her eyes squinting as she studied her. Callie shifted beneath their gazes. The alpha's hands covered his mouth as he stood in silent shock.

"Um, no," Callie interrupted. "Beverley was my mother, my name is-"

"Callie. How didn't I see it sooner?" Tara said, her voice barely above a whisper. She stood up, placing a steadying hand on her mate's back before walking around the desk to stand in front of Callie.

"You have his eyes, you know?" she said, once close enough to studying her intently. "Quick. Calculating. I should have seen it sooner."

Callie squirmed beneath the intensity of her look. Her eyes were shining bright with tears.

"We were so sorry to hear about your parents. They were dear friends of ours," Jenson said as he joined Tara's side.

She managed to give him a small smile, glancing at Vik. He caught her wide eyed stare and sidled a little closer to her.

"She has some questions about them, her parents. That's why we're here."

It was like they'd forgotten he was there, both of them flinching as he spoke. His father stared at him and Callie wondered what they'd talked about but it was his mother who spoke first.

"We'll answer anything that we can. We owe your parents that much and more. But the pack will not like having you here, Vik. I'm sure you know why. You shouldn't have come without giving us advanced warning, we'd have met you outside of the packlands."

Callie frowned, her heart had soared at the idea of finding out more about her parents, but her mood instantly soured at the tone to his mother's voice.