THE DRAGON MUST HAVE THREE HEADS

Highgarden 294 AC.

Olenna.

Everything had gone as well as she hoped for Margaery's nameday, as well as could be expected that is, the gifts she got were incredible, the one from Jon was especially thoughtful. Olenna had been stunned at the accuracy of the drawing, how he had managed to draw it that small was something she was amazed by. The gift Sansa had given her too was unexpected, it had taken her a few moments to realize the outline of the white wolf embroidered into the fabric.

But while she had enjoyed the feast, she had also found things which annoyed her during the night also, one of them, in particular being the arrival of Renly Baratheon. It had taken her only a moment to see it, to see why he had come, her son being his usual subtle self making it all too clear. Why he had thought that she'd countenance such a thing was beyond her, was he really that stupid? she almost laughed at the thought, of course he was.

So she sat in her solar the next morning and waited for first her son and then the stag, she'd deal with both before moving onto the other person who had almost spoiled her enjoyment of the feast, Randyl Tarly. Knowing her plans for the man's son was the only reason she had not called him out for his attitude the night before, the boy may be fat, he may even be craven, but how his father treated him was unacceptable.

"Mother, you wished to see me." Mace said smiling as he walked into the room.

"Take a seat Mace." she said her voice leaving no room for doubt that she was annoyed with him.

"Mother." he said shakily now as he sat down.

"What were you thinking Mace?"

"Mother?" he said clueless as ever.

"Renly Baratheon, Mace, don't think I don't know you invited him."

"I…"

"Mace?"

"I wished for him to meet Margaery, mother, to see her, perhaps in time, once she was older of course a match could be made, he is the king's brother after all." he said looking to her.

"What did I tell you Mace, we will not be looking to match Margaery to that family, am I understood?"

"But mother, they are the royal family, I thought you wished a match with them, I was just trying to help."

"How close is Renly to his brother Mace? To Joffrey? He brings us no advantage whatsoever, none, Storm's End, you think I'd send Margaery to Storm's End?" she asked and he mumbled something "What did you just say?" she said glaring at him.

"Better than marrying my daughter to a bastard." he said and she'd have admired how he looked at her if she wasn't so annoyed.

"Jon Snow is perhaps the most advantageous match any lady could have Mace, given what that boy has already accomplished, what he could accomplish in the future, there is no one in this land more advantageous, do you understand." she said and he shook his head.

"I'll not marry my daughter to a bastard mother, I draw the line there, I'll not be moved on this." he said and she almost laughed, she knew there was a backbone in there somewhere, she'd have never guessed this to be the hill he'd die on.