Warriors' Forest

**Dakota's POV**

There was a tiny clearing where we stood, which had a space for large bonfires in the middle, but was perfectly shaded by the tall forest trees. The clearing was about sixty feet in diameter with fourteen one room cabins placed immediately around it, in between the trees, with other tiny cabins strewn about behind them.

Each cabin looked similar in shape and style, mostly classic A-frames with a window in the front door, a chimney and all of them made of natural materials. However, each of the cabins were distinctly different from the other. Every cabin had was uniquely built, decorated, and maintained. Though, the word decorated may be used a little too liberally in this context.

The most decorations the cabins had were wooden and carved charms placed around the huts and sometimes even carved directly into the walls of the huts themselves.

"What are all of those markings?" I found myself asking.

"Oh, those are various forms of protective charms." Aloisa stated as she walked up to one hut in particular. It was built of birch wood and had a moss roof resting on top of it. "This one is mine. As you can see, I have many charms carved around the door and placed a few around the house itself. It's more of a superstitious thing we all do. Many of these symbols are brought with us from our packs, sleuths, clans, etc."

She then pointed to the largest symbol above her door. "For example, since I come from Chief's pack, I have more Italian charms. This one in particular," She began as she pointed to a small carving which a hand in the 'rock-on' position but upside-down, "is the symbol for protection against the evil eye, known as the mano cornuta."

She moved her hand to gesture to the other huts in the area. "Each of these huts have charms from Celtic, Latin and Native American, Norse, and even African traditions." She looked at me and must have seen my puzzled expression and continued, "What can I say? We're a pretty diverse group."

She made her way back to the center of the circle. "Anyway, you can see that we, as warriors, don't really care for much outside a protected place to eat and sleep since we are so focused on physical and mental training." At this Aloisa looked to Lia and asked, "Shall I show her the training ground Chief?"

Lia nodded in reply, "Of course, this is a tour after all." She then looked to me and smiled, "That is, if you would like to see it. I may be a cult leader of sorts, but I won't hide anything from you."

"Interesting tactic." I answered as I gestured to Aloisa to begin, "Complete transparency isn't normally a cult-leader's style." I chuckled as I walked next to Lia.

"What can I say," Lia smirked, "some of us have higher standards."

With that we made our way past the clearing and the cabins, onto a narrow, almost non-existent path. As we walked in silence, my mind kept going over the various cultures Aloisa had listed. I didn't realize you were such a diverse group here. I mind-linked to Lia.

Well, we weren't always. A few decades ago my family decided that being strictly an Italian pack was only weakening us since we are no longer in Italy. So they opened the pack up to include others who, maybe once were Rogues, but were looking for a new home. About eight or nine years ago we partnered with a few other groups in the area to establish the United Pack Territories, or U.P.T. as we refer to it.

I jumped slightly at the sound of fighting in front of us. Is that the training area?

AB: A WAR IS TAKING PLACE!!! This isn't safe! Walk the other direction!

HB: Are you kidding? We have a werewolf next to us and... well. Maybe two werewolves? It's hard to tell.

WB: Nope, you're right, she's a werewolf.