Chapter 14 - Ominous Victories

Hey guy!
Just to clear up some things in the story:

It's only been about 5/6 years since the events of series 5, rather than 10. The 10 year gap seemed to just be there to set up Bruce as Batman but I personally found that to be a liiiitle bit too long. It doesn't really serve my story, hope that's okay with you all!😅 So, Ed and Oswald didn't go to Arkham/Blackgate for all those years in this story. I thought that part was a little weird personally, as they need time to become impactful and build up their empires. I find it helps to ignore the last episode of Gotham, if you can, my story is an AU, after all.

That's it!
I can answer any questions if you need it clearing up in anyway:)

-

"Zsasz got out. No surprise there. I don't know why we haven't thought about chaining him down yet. Did he say anything to you?" Harvey was asking as she perched on the edge of the older Detective's messy desk.

"Not really. Just the usual. But I was only in here for five minutes." She shrugged, lying cooly. The lie came easy. Kit felt shame at her own indiscretion but it was a necessary evil.

"Well, I ain't chasing him down. He's harder to catch than the goddamn Lock Ness Monster."

Kit wanted to change the subject. Yes, Zsasz would've gotten out on his own eventually. No, she shouldn't have helped him escape. But it just wasn't worth the building being set alight by his cultish sycophants and if he really could put a stop to the riots, that was going to result in lots of people not losing their homes and lives. So she simply changed the subject.

"This desk needs a grenade throwing at it. Look at this, Harv! How do you get anything done?" Kit spoke as she glanced down at the coffee cups, scattered papers, and food wrappers.

"I got everything where I want it." Harvey shrugged, throwing himself into the desk chair and kicking his feet up onto the mess.

Jim's office door swung open.

"Do I pay you to sit around and chat like a book club, huh?" His voice was sarcastic but still that deep, serious sound that his two colleagues had come to know.

"You sure don't pay us enough for all of this. Why? Are we talking raises?"

Kit grinned at Harvey's retort.

"I can't argue with that. Make sure you're both putting in your overtime. So, Zsasz is out again and I had to send 28 uniformed guys down to contain the riots in The Bowery. Penguin's people suddenly worship the ground he walks on." Jim grumbled, standing in front of his two most trusted colleges.

"He's the main source of employment in the city," Kit commented. "I hate to say it but maybe we need to let The Penguin go."

It was true, Penguin took everything good about Falcone's reign and applied it to his own. He changed the lives of the people that the city had turned its back on and offered them the profit from working in the underworld. It was dangerous work, of course, but this place really breeds a different kind.

"I see where you're coming from, Kit. But this had to happen sooner or later. If we don't bring him in you know who will..."

"The Batman." Harvey dramatically answered Jim's rhetorical question.

This Batman was a shadowy vigilante that would drop criminals on the doorstep of the GCPD or straight into Arkham. He'd only been around for a short time, emerging suspiciously around the time that Bruce Wayne had come back to the city, though hardly anyone seemed to notice this like Kit had. She didn't care enough to bring attention to the fact the young, good looking Billionaire that had flirted with her at the Charity Gala last year, was the only person in the city with the means to afford the Batman's resources.