x ➤ broken

Storybrooke

Beeep.

Callie is jolted out of her head at Mary Margaret's panicked yelling for Dr. Whale. Her head shoots up and her eyes catch onto the monitors dropping and going blank. A shrill beep fills the air as the doctor and nurses fill the room. Mary Margaret is pulled away from the bed and shown outside of the room. Callie has the storybook shoved into her arms, still open to the page of Calypso waking up to false memories.

But this isn't a fairytale. And Callie's heart plummets as she watches the kid she's raised begin to die.

Callie looks over at Mary Margaret in shock as the monitors go silent. A tear slips down the dark-haired woman's cheek, and Callie chokes on a sob she didn't realize that she had been holding.

Mary Margaret tries to call Emma, her phone not reaching the blonde's. Callie pulls out her phone, trying to reach Regina's cell and her heartbeat quickens as it stalls.

Callie's voice breaks as she tries to speak, "luv, it's—" but Regina hangs up before she can even say what's happened.

And the line goes dead.

Mary Margaret is asked to leave. No ties to the boy that's died other than having been his teacher for the past year. Callie is left alone, in a room that smells too clean and in a seat that feels too stiff. She's balanced on the edge, head in her hands as she lets go of the sob aching in her chest.

She can see Dr. Whale's feet in front of her. Muffled voices reach her ears. The soft hand of Mother Superior touches her shoulder gently, but the contact causes her to jump. But all Callie can do is sink into the loss of Henry.

Regina and Swan enter the lobby at a running pace, but both seem to freeze as Dr. Whale and Mother Superior turn to them with apologies on their lips. Both cry softly, eyes turning red at the sight of their son dead.

Emma seems to approach him in slow motion. Callie looks up, meeting Regina's eyes just as another sob hiccups off of her lips. Her eyes tear up and she shakily stands, intending to hug her old friend.

Her eyes catch on to Swan slowly leaning over Henry. A nurse works on the wires and other medical equipment that is carefully being removed from his corpse.

She watches as Swan bends over his head, whispering something no one else can hear as her whole body quakes. A tear falls from Emma's cheek to Henry's as she cries.

Emma's lips slowly meet the soft skin of Henry's forehead.

Callie's eyes widen as light begins to seep out from Henry's chest. A pulsing ray of light goes out in all directions. Colorful arches and rainbows travel with the light beams, changing the whole world.

It grows brighter until the light takes all of Callie's vision — until all she sees are memories.

The hovel.

Her parents and all that they did to her.

Baelfire.

Killian.

Accepting his proposal.

All those years pirating.