chapter three

Kageyama walked down Hinata's stairs to look for anything that could get him to cool down.

I should get him a washcloth for his head. Maybe I should make him some tea, no, i'll do that later once he's awake so it's still warm. I need to take his temperature too.

He didn't want to be disresptecful and go lurking around the family's home. But he also needed to get stuff for Hinata, so he really didn't have much of a choice.

I wonder where his parents are... and it's the end of the day so Natsu should be home, right?

Whatever, it's not my business.

Kageyama started by grabbing a washcloth which was luckily, easy to find, and rinsed it with warm water. He also saw a thermometer right on the counter, so he assumed someone must have taken his temperature this morning.

Kageyama grabbed everything he needed and went back upstairs to Hinata. Once he was close by, he noticed a small whimper within the room. Concerned, he rushed to open the door.

"Hinata, are you-"

...He's still asleep.

Kageyama walked over to his bedside and picked up the washcloth. He was still sweating, but he also now appeared to be shivering.

He looked down at Hinata. He wanted so bad for him to take a nice, peaceful rest. Instead, he looked like he was suffering, even in his sleep.

What Kageyama hated, more than anything in the world, was to see him in pain. He could tell that his poor friend tried to play it off and act like he was fine, but he must have been so tired that he couldn't fake it.

I can't take his temperature yet. I shouldn't wake him.

Instead of using the thermometer, he tried to feel for it using the back of his hand.

Jesus, he's burning up.

Kageyama became even more alarmed.

His fever should have gone down at least a little bit after taking some medicine. It's been a while.

Kageyama then grabbed the wet washcloth and put it over his head.

Hopefully that helps a little.

He looked looked around Hinata's room.

It was clear he wasn't expecting company, because his room was a mess. His floor was completely covered in magazines, books, clothes. It felt like his entire life was right there in front of him, splayed out across the floor in the form of clutter.

Kageyama was the complete opposite. Everything about his room was clean. The floor was spotless, and all his books and clothing were organized and in perfect order. It was almost like a guest room, as if he wasn't even living in it.

Hinata seems to be the exact opposite of Kageyama. Maybe that's why he likes him.

It's not like he hates himself, it's just that he feels so... boring, sometimes.

But Hinata, Hinata is different. Interesting. Everything from his personality to his hair, is all right up in the faces of everyone he meets. And once you look at him, it's hard to look away. Well, maybe that part is just Kageyama. But one thing he knew for sure was that everyone loved Hinata.

Kageyama looked over to the clock. It read 6:00 PM.

Already? That went by fast.

He moved his gaze back towards the spiker.

He actually finally started to look better. His cheeks still looked flushed, but he was no longer sweating, which was good, and no longer shivering either. Kageyama removed the cloth from his forehead to feel his temperature. Still warm, but not as bad as before. Most importantly, however, he no longer looked in pain. He actually looked peaceful, just like Kageyama wanted. He smiled at his small friend napping in front of him.

Is it bad to think that he looks adorable right now?

Kageyama sighed.

He is way too cute for his own good.

He began putting away the medicine by his bed when all of a sudden, he heard Hinata start to speak.

"Cheese.. and the..."

"What? What are you-"

Oh, Kageyama thought, he's dreaming.

I had no idea he talks in his sleep.

...

"Where's... volleyball?"

Of course Hinata's dreaming about volleyball.

Then he went silent. Kageyama assumed his dream was over and resumed putting the medicine bottle away and back into the bag.

"Kageyama!"

The volume of his voice startled him.

He's still asleep.

The hell is this dumb ass dreaming about, and why the hell am I there with him?

Kageyama tried to make out what else he was saying, but all he could hear was mumbling. After that, Hinata went silent again.

That's when Hinata started to giggle.

Jeez. What's so funny?

He must have been having a good dream, because the biggest, dopiest smile was plastered across his face.

Kageyama didn't think it was possible that Hinata could be any cuter. Clearly, he was wrong.

~hello! if you enjoyed, please be sure to hit the star in the bottom corner! tysm for reading~