Chapter 24: Never Doubt

Dear Diary,
I have heard of wedding jitters, but is there such
a thing as engagement jitters? I feel like I am
walking around with my nerves twisted in knots.

Angel nervously bounced her fist on her thigh as she stood in front of Pensington House a few days later. No matter how hard she tried, she could not get Philip's words out of her head. The engagement ball was only a week away, and she desperately wanted to speak to Nathaniel. They had not seen each other since the ball, having been dragged into a frenzied whirlwind of wedding preparations and dressmaker appointments. Apparently, she needed a whole new wardrobe for life as a married woman.

The butler let her inside and brought her to the private drawing room upstairs, where he announced her to Nathaniel, Mrs Grey, and the Howerty sisters. Seeing them all staring at her unplanned appearance at their home, she clasped her hands in front of her and prayed to steady her racing heart. Nathaniel stood, a line between his brows as he must wonder what she was doing there.

Mrs Grey put her cup of tea down and motioned to the spare seat on the sofa Nathaniel had vacated. "Miss Grafton," she said. "I wasn't expecting you today. Did I forget an appointment?"

"No, not at all," Angel assured her. "I only came because I hoped to speak to Nathaniel."

The older woman nodded. "I see. Why don't you join us for a cup of tea and some cake?"

Sitting down next to Nathaniel, Angel gratefully accepted a teacup. Her hands trembled as she stirred the spoon and she cursed her nerves.

Nick reached across the table to grab a bread roll before plopping back down in her seat. Looking at Angel, she leaned forward slightly, her brown eyes glittering. "I heard your wedding dress is absolutely beautiful."

"It is," Angel agreed.

"When I get married, I want to wear trousers," Nick continued. "Dresses are in the way when you climb trees. They're such a nuisance."

"Nick!" Aunt Jane admonished as she buttered a piece of bread. "You will wear a dress at your wedding and any other day that I deem appropriate. Which would be every day. You are too old to be allowed to wear trousers. Not that we ever should have indulged it."

"But how am I going to climb trees?" Nick complained.

"A young lady does not climb trees."

"Then I don't want to be a young lady!" Nick crossed her arms in front of her chest, her chin jutting out stubbornly.

"Don't worry," Rain teased. "No one would mistake you for a proper lady."

Jessica rolled her eyes at her younger sisters. "You better behave," she said. "Or Angel might change her mind and no longer wish to become our sister."

Nick let out a horrified gasp. "No! She has to!"

Angel smiled as she watched the siblings interact. The tension left her shoulders as she relaxed. Simply being with the Howertys was some of her favourite times, and despite her reason for coming today, she enjoyed every moment with them.

Nathaniel leaned a little closer. "Don't mind them. They're always like this."

She turned to him, trying to keep her voice calm. "Do you think I could speak to you in private?"

The line was back between his brows. "I'm afraid I have strict orders from your brother to never be alone with you, but we could walk to the other side of the room."

"Yes, please."

He stood and assisted her up. They mumbled an apology to Mrs Grey before he brought Angel to the other side of the drawing room, where a window faced the back garden. The room was large enough to keep them out of earshot, as long as they didn't raise their voices. His hand rested gently on her upper arm as he studied her.