Chapter One

Disclaimer: This is my (Swloixe's) interpretation of history. This book is, by all means, historically fantasy due to my spin on it. That being said, the names in the book are real, and so are their histories (besides the people without a last name, those are my characters) and the history used is more often accurate than the latter (with what we know). 

    So please have fun as you learn the histories of the greatest leaders in the Sengoku Era! Enjoy <3

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━

    "I'm going to be going away for a while," Hisa, an eight-year-old girl hugged her younger brother for the last time. "Don't stay up late and don't miss meals, Grandma Chi-Chi will take care of you." Chiko was an older woman in the town who watched over the children who were orphaned during the Sengoku war that has been going on for over two-hundred years.

    "Where are you going?" Her brother, Genkei, clutched her dirty dark purple Yukata, "why won't I be able to see you?" Hisa clutched her brother, tucking his small head into the crook of her neck.

    "I need to go make money," Hisa's mother died when the Yokai attacked their village two days ago. Their father was away at war, which meant he wouldn't know about what happened for months. The pressure of maintaining the welfare of the family now fell onto Hisa's tiny shoulders.

    Hisa had begged for her life in front of the clan castle. One of the main generals took pity on her and gave her a role, now all she needed to do was start her training. Before coming to see her brother goodbye, she stopped by Grandma Chi Chi's home and pleaded for her to take Genkei in while she worked to get money.

    The grandmother agreed, understanding that Hisa's salary would go to them, and they would get the son that they always wanted. Everything was aligned and all that needed to happen now was leave. "No, you don't!" Her brother sobbed into her chest.

"I don't want to be alone, Hisa!" Genkei cried and cried and Hisa didn't know how to react. After all, she is only two years older than him.

    She understood his feelings, he had lost his father, mother, and now he was losing his older sister. Clutching him tight, she didn't want to let him go. The world had damned them and given them horrible cards to work with. But Hisa has to make it work. For her brother's survival. It was all for him.

    Hisa started to get choked up as well, "I don't want to go either," She kissed the top of his head over and over. She was scared to leave her brother and start this scary new life. "I don't want to." She was hesitating, maybe they could starve and be street children.

    No. She couldn't do that to her brother. Hisa rubbed the back of his head, rocking him back and forth till he was asleep in her arms. She looked around the old house that they used to live in. Everything was a mess, she couldn't clean it, it was too high for her to reach.

    There was dried blood still leftover by their mother, the floors scraped by claw marks. The village never found their mother's body after she was taken by a cruel yokai. Hisa tried to believe that she died peacefully. "Goodbye Genkei," She slowly carried him to his bed. Grandma Chi-Chi would come to collect him in the morning.

    She slid open the door to the outside and slipped through. Closing it behind her. She gave the house one last look and got to her knee's putting her forehead to the ground. "Please gods, please protect my brother."

    She got up, dirt now smothered on her forehead, and headed down the road to her new life.

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━