Chapter Two

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━

Hisa

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━

     I left Haru at the barracks because I was summoned by the head of the Oda clan. I thought back to the Kitsune who saved my life. That small white ball was made into a necklace that I wore everywhere. Soon enough money did come into my life. Enough money that could support my brother. I wondered how that fox was doing, I owed my life to it after all.

    I reached the dining room where my lord was eating at. "It's Hisa, my lord," I said behind the shoji, it was a thin door made out of paper. I was on my knees, still in my dirty Yukata. I didn't think of changing and I'm sure that Lord Oda wouldn't mind in the slightest.

    "Ah, Hisa, come in." I slid the door open, standing for a moment while sitting at the free seat. "Good work, not a single flaw as of now. As expected. Hanzo, pour her a drink." Then the sound of rain started hitting the door from outside.

    Hattori Hanzo and I grew up together in training and we were really good friends. We met when I was nine, and he was well eleven. We were not the type of friends that played tag, we were always trying to outdo one another. He has saved my life countless times, and I have saved his just as much. Lord Oda likes to make jokes saying that we were Ying and Yang.

    Sadly, Hattori stays by Lord Oda's side while I go off to other castles to do his dirty work. I didn't like leaving my friend's side, but at least I knew that he would be safe. I think he felt the opposite for me. He probably would much rather be going out than staying cooped up here.

    "Ah, this rain season just won't let up." Lord Oda chuckled to himself. It was rare for someone like me to be at the same table as Oda, though that was just the way that Lord Oda acted. He wasn't like any other lord in the nation. He was known as the Fool of Owari, but those who served under him know that title is nothing but a hoax. I was grateful to be apart of this clan, a clan where it gave people like me to prove myself, even though I am nothing more than a commoner.

    "How old are you now, Hisa?" Lord Oda asked, which made me jump. It was always startling when Lord Oda asked about me. I stroked the side of my white sake cup.

    "I am eighteen, my lord." My response was automatic, almost artificial sounding. I didn't really know how to be myself around someone with this strong presence. I looked back down at the little flat white cup that was filled to the brim. Hattori kept filling it up, not knowing what else to do. Our master never told him to stop.

    "Eighteen already..." I heard him sigh before drawing his attention to my friend. "Hanzo, aren't you twenty?" It was less of a question and more of a restatement. There was just a nod in response, Hattori was a man of little words.

    "Then shouldn't you both get married?" There was a thunder crash outside. I almost dropped my cup while Hanzo almost dropped the bottle. What did he just say? Did I just get a proposal from someone who wasn't even proposing to me? I glanced at Hattori, both of us pale in the face. Looks like this was out of the blue for him too.

    "I think the weather answered that question, my lord." I tried to play it out as a joke, but my voice came off wary and quiet. Luckily, lord Oda laughed aloud.

    "Come on, who is Hisa without Hattori and Hattori without Hisa?" We looked at each other with weary looks. I mean, we could get married, we are in mutual agreement to that, but that had never been on our mind till now. Survival has always been our top priority, nothing else. I was at the proper age where I should be getting married, but what about Genkei? How would he get money to survive? I wouldn't be able to settle down until very late in my life if I even make it that far.