Chapter Six

January 30th, 2021

Hisa

--

    I looked down at the child that was my age. His ninja was fallen by his side, bleeding out. I raised my sword to kill them both, but when I swung down I stopped. The noble child opened his eyes and looked up at me with shock. He was the inner turmoil that I was spinning in my head.

    "Please spare me." The Tokugawa child whispered to me. His fear snapped something within me. How could I kill someone like this? I looked over to the ninja, now known as my close friend, Hattori.

    "Grab him." I gestured with my blade. I was going to fail my first mission. "We are leaving." It wasn't long before the boy grabbed the other and threw him over his shoulder with a grunt. "Walk in front."

    I was going to die for this action. I couldn't possibly kill a child. When I watched the movements of the heir to the Tokugawa clan, I couldn't help but see my brother. "How old are you?" He whispered, out of breath.

    "Nine," I mumbled back and we took a turn down the hall.

    "Me too!" He cheered as if I wasn't the one about to take his life. "Hattori is eleven." I assumed that Hattori was the one bleeding out. I just nodded my head and walked into the open field.

    "This way." I stepped in front of them, grabbing Tokugawa, my soon to be good friend, by the arm. I wondered for a while before I started to worry that I was walking the right way to the camp.

    All of a sudden there was a light that flashed before us. It seemed to make a trail, I looked at Tokugawa and he looked back at me. He groaned and heaved Hattori up more. "I don't think I can carry him for much longer." I reached out and took him from Tokugawa's back.

    "I can do it, let's go." Soon enough after following the little sparks of fire, we wandered back to the tent village. We made it in front of the main tent. "When we go inside, beg for your lives. I will be begging for mine as well." I think the reality of the situation has set into his head because he started to cry.

    "No point crying. Let's go." I grabbed his sleeve again and walked into the tent.

     "My lord." I dropped to my knees, slumping Hattori off of me. "I have captured my target and his ninja." I put my face to the dirt floor, showing submission.

    "You brought them here?" Lord Oda's voice was shocked.

    "They surrendered themselves to me, my lord." Not a lie but not the truth.

    "You are injured." Oda reached down and lifted my face from under my chin. He glanced to the side to see the bleeding ninja. "Did you do that?" I nodded my head, avoiding eye contact with my lord. He let go of my chin, "well this is a change of events."

    Lord Oda was eleven years older than me, and after coming to the clan he appointed me to be his personal ninja when I completed my training. I am still not done, and I will likely be in it for a lot longer after this failure. I was meant to kill the Tokugawa boy. "Good work, Hisa. You may leave."

    Good work? This was good work from me? I stood, gripping my pants in distress as I bowed. I turned on my heel and took one last look at Ieyasu Tokugawa. He was looking at me with worry and fear in his eyes. My consciousness wavered again.

    "My lord. If you want to save the ninja, I sliced him up the ribcage. He needs urgent care." This was the only clarity that I could give my new ally. However, Lord Oda's answers were absolute, and a strong tell on what was going to happen to both of them.