Part 41:Dark arts

The dark arts. 

Since it was already second semester, it was time to teach us about dark magic. 

No, not for us to learn. 

It was for us to defend against this inhuman magic. 

Some people took it too far just to achieve their goals, to even sacrifice half of their lives for this. 

Dark magic was very strong, but came with a heavy price. 

The payment would go according to the contract you made with the evil-turned magical creature. 

These things loved to see people suffer, but what did the person care? 

All the humans that made these sufferable contracts were ones filled with revenge, greed, and most definitely hatred. 

But making this contract and plunging into the dark side was never the right answer. 

All the people who did weren't in their right mind, and were blinded by detestation. 

One example was the former Roselyn, who was filled with revenge and loathing. 

She would have done anything and everything to get back at Ivy, to get her former status and power that she had before.

Little did she know, her contract animal managed to get her whole body due to her stupidness, and the arrogant Roselyn we knew was no more. 

Of course, Ivy and the capture targets defeated the evil creature residing in her body, which caused the Roselyn's soul to come back. 

But Roselyn had broken so much laws that straight to the guillotine she went. 

 "Lady Villinie!" 

I jerked up, facing the teacher. 

I was met with a disbelieving face, one that showed sign of her not liking me half dozing off in thought within this class. 

"What are the 3 basic controlling dark arts, Lady Castria? Please explain how they all function clearly, please."

Have we even learned this yet? 

I don't recall even Ivy learning something this advanced on their first few weeks of the second semester in the otome game. 

Well, it's not like I can say that because I truly wasn't paying attention to her words. 

I put both of my hands on the desk to hoist myself up, until I was standing. 

"The three basic controlling arts are connected to the three elements that form a human, which is soul, mind, and physical body. To control the soul means to control the emotions of the person, but proves ineffective if this person can handle their sentiments very well." 

I stopped, and thought about what I should say for the next one. 

"To control the mind, which is proven the most successful yet most difficult, means to control their entire being. Since the mind connects to the whole body, you will be able to dominate over the whole figure. However, it's very burdensome on the caster, since you have to manage their whole brain without breaking any parts inside mentally. Even the most skilled ones in this dark arts have only controlled their mind for a maximum of 10 minutes before blundering the victim mentally, which caused them to be inwardly scarred for life, or even death itself." 

I was getting nervous, as I haven't done something in front of the class for so long. 

Maybe I was scared of failure and making a joke of myself, but I reminded myself that if I couldn't at least do this much, then how was I going to live until the end.