Annoying prince

The next day, they went out with the group again, who were somewhat surprised. They weren't so dense to not realize that the elf had been somewhat downcast the day before, and that the drelf had looked very serious. However, now, both were talking happily, closer than ever.

Perhaps, what surprised them the most was seeing Maldoa chasing and cursing the feline, since they were unaware that the lynx had snatched a pastry that Goldmi had secretly given her. Meanwhile, the elf tried, but was unable to contain her laughter.

They roamed the area, and found almost twenty corrupted beings hidden in the subsoil. Those beings didn't counterattack, because they had the order to remain there, an order that wouldn't change unless a new general arrived. By the end of the day, they had practically covered the full area.

They also had to face thirty other losts, much more than usual, which were attacking one by one. Without orders, they lounged at the living as soon as they detected their presence. However, by doing it one at a time, or in groups of two at most, they weren't a threat to them.

The elf didn't manage to raise any level. Not only did she have to share the experience, unlike the day before when she had eliminated a dozen by herself, but now her level was higher. It increased the difficulty of leveling if her enemies' level didn't raise too. Still, she had advanced more than a quarter.

That situation, that of many sporadic enemies attacking without any coordination, also happened to other groups, something unusual. And except for a drelf, an elf and a lynx, none of them could imagine that it was because the troops posted by a general had been left without a leader.

Thus, during dinner, many were talking about the same thing, although few enjoyed drinks as delicious as those of Goldmi's group. She had offered them to her companions, while assuring that she had brought them with her, and they could be spoiled if not drank soon. Or that they had been given to her, and she didn't usually drink alcohol.

Evidently, the dwarf couldn't help but flaunt his generosity, and make the noble sacrifice of helping her dispose of an exotic beer. Meanwhile, the bull-horned demihuman had to exert himself to help her with a much less abundant drink, but much stronger.

The reptilian, for his part, insisted on knowing the recipe for a rare non-alcoholic fruit and insect drink, which neither of the two friends wanted to try. They had their own drink, without insects.

They were seated at a long table, where about twenty people were dining, while sharing the anecdotes and events of the day. And although the number of enemies had been larger than usual, there had been no great dangers or ambushes, so everyone were celebrating the day with satisfaction.

"The one of the other day is coming. The prince," warned the lynx.

"What's wrong?" the drelf asked when she saw her friend's face of exasperation.

"Don't look back, but the prince is coming," she whispered.

"Again? Doesn't he get the hints?" she was irritated.

The truth was that the elf felt a bit guilty, for the prince had been polite, he hadn't been arrogant or unfriendly. But she couldn't help not bear him. Past traumas aren't so easy to overcome. So when he came over and called her, she tried to force a smile.

"Good evening, my lovely Goldmi," he greeted her.

She wondered where he had gotten her name from, for she didn't remember telling him, but she didn't care. After all, her name was no secret. She just ignored the excess of flattery and familiarity.

"Good evening Prince Krusledón. I hope everything is fine," she returned the greeting, while trying to hide that she wanted him to leave as soon as possible.

"Of course everything is fine. We have been killing those losts until just now. Someone has to do it," he bragged. "Will you dine with us?"

There were some hostile glances towards him. From the way he had spoken, it seemed like he was the only one doing something. Although there were some much more incisive looks.

"All his companions seem tired, and are dirty, with bruises. He didn't," the lynx observed.

Given her sister's not very favorable sentiment, the lynx had been watching the group with particular attention. And that situation was too blatant for her to miss, neither her nor some of those who weren't simply ignoring him.

A quick glance was enough for the elf to confirm what her sister had mentioned. If she added that he was armed with a sword, it was really strange. One more reason not to want to know anything about him.

"I'm afraid I've already finished dinner," she excused herself. Though she was thinking that she should be more direct, so that he would leave her alone.

But she didn't quite know how to tell him, and she was afraid of creating trouble with a prince. She wasn't experienced with dealing with nobility, although she was oblivious that her position there was even more important than that of any prince.

"Oh, maybe next time. The offer to come with our group is still open," he reacted quickly.

His irritation at being rejected a second time was hardly noticeable, although this time she hadn't lied. In fact, he had tried to approach her the day before, but hadn't found her, as she had remained in the dormitory.

In a part, it was strange that the prince paid so much attention to her. It was true that Goldmi was attractive, but it wasn't that there were no attractive women at court. However, that wasn't the court, and here she stood out quite a lot, without the need for dresses or makeup. She was an exotic beauty from his point of view. Furthermore, the fact that she had rejected his offer the first time had hurt his self-esteem, and heightened his interest.

It was also true that, although he was a spoiled prince, he wasn't too stupid. So, the prince knew that there he couldn't overdo it there. Besides that he wasn't as despotic as the nobles of his country would be a few dozen years later.

The memory of Eldi Hnefa, and the promise made, was still fresh. There were not a few who believed that he could return at any moment, if he hadn't already done so. Time would pass before they forgot him. And even more before he returned.

For her part, the elf sighed in relief when he left. It was evident to everyone that she wasn't exactly attracted to him. She wondered how she could get rid of him. Or maybe if she should wait to level up as quickly as possible and get out of there. But she soon stopped thinking about it.

"There is a message for you," one of the people in charge of the fort said to Maldoa.

Goldmi watched worriedly as she left. That could be the higher command's response to her friend's report. Perhaps they would order her to leave, to be separated from her.