The contract

"Ribvla should be ashamed. We're not supposed to help her," a voice complained.

"She hasn't helped her, she has only invited her to lunch. It's perfectly legitimate," she was defended by another.

"Do you believe that?" the first one denied.

"It's technically valid," another added.

"It's a breach of the contract, it breaks its spirit."

"Nor should we exaggerate so much. After all, she has the perfect right to invite her."

"But..."

"What if we tell Ribvla to ask her to cook more, so she can send us some meals?" another voice suggested, her mouth watering.

"Mmmm, not a bad idea."

"Yes, and she'd better send it," another one threatened.

"Well, I suppose it can be considered an invitation, though it's a bit farfetched," the first one finally accepted.

Thus, what had happened there, didn't transcend beyond the dryads themselves, and those capable of seeing beyond. They turned a blind eye and decided to interpret the rescue as an invitation to lunch. After all, this elf had saved one of theirs. Of course, it had no relation with expectations of delicious meals. With total security. Probably. Maybe.

It had been stipulated that beings of great power couldn't interfere by helping visitors before they fully claimed their place in the world. That meant not only recovering all their power, but completing what they had left pending.

Without a doubt, the dryads were among the beings of great power. It was something that had been agreed upon by all parties, when the visitors had been brought through what they called game, as there was the open possibility that some might return completely.

Only with these conditions, some of the most reluctant had ended up accepting. They were stubborn despite the fact that the help of the players was essential to maintain the balance of the world, to fight against an ancient evil.

Despite the need, some of Jorgaldur's guardians hadn't agreed to let them in without further ado, without strict conditions. They hadn't wanted to repeat the mistakes of the past, those that had led them precisely to that situation.

It is also true that the fight would be exploited by others for their own ends, even spreading terrible corruption. However, despite its seriousness, it was still an internal conflict, of a lesser magnitude than the one they had had to face with the help of the players.

Now the survival of multitudes of beings was at stake. At that time, it was the world's survival what was at stake.

Either way, the dryads had decided to interpret the contract at face value, and take advantage of what might be called a loophole. However, they were aware that it was something they couldn't do often, or for long.

"Have you seen what they've done!?" a thousands of years old huge black male dragon was exasperated.

"Yes. Haha. I never would've imagined dryads doing so. They seem so innocent. One can't trust appearances," laughed a huge light blue female dragon.

"Are you going to let it pass just like that?"

"Of course not, they'll be warned. This time we let it pass it, but, if they do it again, we'll consider it a breach of the contract, and there will be consequences.

"That's all?" the black dragon protested.

"Come on, don't be so grumpy. You have to recognize their merit. It has been a good move. I hadn't laughed so much in years," she replied, amused.

"Damn dryads..." he growled again, while the female dragon laughed.

They were some of the beings who had been stricter with the conditions. Besides, the black dragon was the one who had written several of them. Specifically, some of the ones which had been bypassed by the dryads with the invitation.

For this, he was irritated, as he considered it a humiliation. Because of that, the female dragon was so amused. It had been hundreds of years since she had seen him reacting like that, and he looked very funny to her.

He sighed. They had been together for too many millennia not to realize what she was thinking. Although it was true that he would have been tougher, he wouldn't have taken things to the extreme either. After all, the dragon had done similar things in the past. Maybe, that's why it was hurting him more, because they had beaten him at his own game.

"Oh, look at the dryads, how daring," said the emperor of the seas with amusement.

The woman beside him, who was weaving what would be the foundation for some volcanic islands, looked up and glanced at the image.

"Let them fight it out with the dragons. We have a lot to do. How's that eruption going?"

"A little more magma, and it's done."

She nodded, and went on with her work. He had no choice but to continue his as well, though he kept glancing sideways. He wanted to know how the dragons would react. The emperor was sure they would spout fire from their mouth.

They weren't the only ones who realized the flagrant violation of the contract, which, however, hadn't been broken. Most found it fun and that was all, so they continued with whatever they were doing.

Others didn't even pay attention to them, like the Titans. They would have allowed the visitors to roam freely, and whoever wanted to intervene could just do it. They didn't even understand why so much concern and suspicion. However, the titans didn't care about it, neither whatever the other Guardians did.

Some not only found it a great move, but cursed themselves for not thinking about it sooner. Unfortunately, now they could no longer carry it out on their own, for the dragon's warning was for everyone. While they weren't afraid of them, it wasn't a good idea to make them angry either.

It is not that they had a real reason to seek a loophole to the contract. However, their mischievous nature made them want to carry out any kind of trick that might annoy the other Guardians, although always without leading to direct confrontation. It was a balance not always easy to achieve, and it was precisely what made it so entertaining, so challenging.

"Good move dryads, good move. It was fun. I'll grant you a request," one of the mystical leprechauns praised them. They were the lords of the rainbows, among other natural phenomena.