14

I look at the door with dread. I get up before I can change my mind and go downstairs. I wait at the basement door for a bit before opening it slowly. I see a head of blond hair and another head of brown hair slouching on the couch and playing a game on the tv. They shout a bit at each other as they play the game.

I take a few breaths before entering the room. I sit down on the left side of the couch, closer to Tommy than Toby. Tommy glances at me for a bit before turning back to the race on the screen.

"Hey, Woman." He says as if he's known me for forever. I stare at him and try and associate him with the person I've been texting for two weeks. After a bit, I look away from him and back to the screen.

"So what's the score so far?" I ask both of them.

"I'm winning with 3 wins and Tommy has 1," Toby says proudly as he finishes another lap.

I hum in response and go up to the boxes under our coffee table. I take out another remote and set it aside for later.

Once the round is over I tell them.

"I'm joining."

Toby nods and goes back to the home screen so they can start a game with three players. I chose Princess Peach this time, Toby picking Toad and Tommy picking Luigi.

In the first round, Toby gets first and Tommy gets second. I got fifth place and frown. The next games were pretty much the same, Toby and Tommy neck and neck while I was somewhere in the middle.

After a while of playing I had taken up a spot beside Toby so I could lean against his shoulder. My legs were sprawled across the couch and next to Tommy's legs as he leaned on the edge of the couch.

Toby had won pretty much every game and I hadn't won once. I gave up and just decided to watch the guys play.

They seemed to be having un, despite the insults going across the room.

"TUBBO!" Tommy would yell as Toby sent a shell at him. I laughed a bit as I watched Tommy fall three spots behind.

This would go on forever. The back and forth of their bickering and trying to win. Toby would usually win and Tommy would call a rematch on the grounds that he was just having bad luck. I found their bickering entertaining though.

I heard the door open and looked back to see Ava walking into the basement. I got up and made my way towards her before picking her up and placing her on my hip. I walked back over to the couch and sat back in my spot.

This time Ava was laying on my stomach and watching the game intently. Tommy looked towards me for a second but had to do a double-take when he noticed Ava.

"Woman, are you a mother?" He asked.

I starting laughing really hard and I heard Toby start to laugh as well. We ended up in a fit of laughter and had to pause the race to try and get it to stop. But one look at Tommy and his serious expression ruined it.

"No, I'm certainly not a mother," I replied once the laughing stopped enough.

"Okay." He said before turning the game back on. I turned to Toby and we shared an amused look. Did I really look like a mother to him? I was 16 for goodness sake.

"That's the man that stole me from daycare," Ava whispered in my ear. Making me giggle along with her.

They finished their round and Ava got hungry. I checked the time to see it was around lunchtime. I got up from my spot and Ava followed me towards the kitchen to where Auntie Clara and mum were making sandwiches.

Whenever Auntie Clara was around she helped mum get back to normal and do activities. She would make meals with her or talk over tea, sometimes even watch some cheesy romance movies together. Things that made mum feel like herself again.

I sat Ava on her booster seat before grabbing a few sandwiches for me and her. We ate while I talked to mum and Auntie Clara about school. Once we were done I helped Ava down and brought her upstairs.

She quickly got into her blankets but remembered something. She shot up and went for the books on her headboard. I smiled and held out my hand for the book she picked. She adjusted her pillows and then I started to read the book.

It was a picture book about robin hood. It was a little weird because he was a fox but it seemed to make sense to Ava. By the time I had finished the book, she was tiredly leaning on my arm. I kissed the top of her forehead.

"Goodnight A bear," I whispered before leaving the room. I walked back downstairs to see Toby in the kitchen and eating a sandwich. I sat down next to him and leaned my head on his shoulder. Even if I had slept in that morning I was tired from all the interaction today.

"Tommy left by the way." He told me as I removed my head.

"I'm going to watch some Netflix," I said before getting up. He nodded and continued to eat his food happily.

I got back to my room and took out my laptop. I pulled up the Netflix app and started to watch the Harry Potter movies in order. There was nothing better than having a Harry Potter movie marathon in bed.