The Reason

I'm not a perfect person

There's many things I wish I didn't do

But I continue learning

I never meant to do those things to you

And so I have to say before I go

That I just want you to know

I've found out a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

And the reason is you

I'm sorry that I hurt you

It's something I must life with everyday

And all the pain I put you through

I wish that I could take it all away

And be the one who catches all your tears

That's why I need you to hear

I've found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

And the reason is you

Hoobastank — The Reason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He kept poking her cheek. His fingernail would gently scrape along the smooth rounded curve of her face, before taking the fullness between his fingers and giving a soft pinch.

She tried ignoring it, until he gave a particular hard pinch that made her whine.

"Alex!" Ashley scolded, swatting his fingers away. Alex let an easy chuckle pass through those luscious lips of his, and he stretched his long arm along the back of her chair. Noticing the slight shiver that went through her when his arm lightly brushed her shoulders.

The smug grin on his face said it all

"What're you doing?" Alex asked as Ashley's small fingers ruffled through a small pile of papers on her lap. She had come into his office to do a quick inventory of all the expenses she had made in redecorating his office.

"I'm sorting through some receipts. I need to get these back to Geviana for her to check through them so she can file them away as expenses for all the furniture we bought for you and Kyle's offices."

"Mmm," he murmured, a little put off by how easily she was ignoring him.

"You didn't come to dinner with me at Maggiano's," Alex said nonchalantly. The Italian family style restaurant was one of his favorite places to eat.

"And you said you would come find me if I didn't come," Ashley pointed out sweetly. "Besides, I decided to save myself the effort. Maggiano's requires that you have least a party of four to eat there, remember?"

Right. Alex had completely forgotten about that. The food was served family style, with everyone at the table partaking of the food in the middle, and the food ordered was replaced whenever more was desired. Whenever Alex went there, he made sure to stuff himself with enough food to keep him full for days afterward. The massive portions probably explained why you needed a party of at least four to eat there.

Alex decided to focus on Ashley's first comment instead of his forgetfulness.

"Oh, so was that was it was? You wanted me to come looking for you?" Alex drawled, trying hard to keep up the façade of suaveness with just a touch of arrogance to draw her in. It didn't seem to be working so well, dammit.