Fifty Five: Court Proceedings

"The families! Layla, cue drum roll." I watched them from one to another as Layla clicked her tongue and beat the chair like a drum, truly cuing Falmata in like it was Saturday Night Live.

"The families of Alhaji Bashir B. Bakura and that of-" Falmata stopped her from speaking and asked to read it again. "Put some respect to that name. It has Gcon, MFR and OON behind the names, read them all." I pursed my lips, holding back my laughter as Layla truly began the whole sentence again, reading all of my dad's honors one after the other before mentioning Sa'ad's family name.

"Cordially invite you, whoever they are, to the Wedding Fatiha of their children. Labeebah Bakura and Sa'ad Lamido." Layla put down the white and lilac invitation that admitted one and clapped her hands.

"Congratulations Ya Labeebah. I'm so happy, you're joining my fam and I cannot wait!" She exclaimed at the end of her sentence and Falmata exhaled loudly, in a manner that made us look at her.

"I haven't even known my sister for long and she's going to be married to someone else. Would you look at that?" I rolled my eyes and asked for the invitation. When it got into my hands, I looked it over.

A perfect swirl of White and Lilac, embossed with gold accents, it had a jacket before the main invitation that clearly said 'Admits only one' on the side. I like it very much and I told them so. Layla and Falmata have outdone themselves with my wedding preparations, leaving me enough time to go on set, film all my pending movies and vlogs before the wedding.

"Guys, thank you." Falmata assumed a smile I've come to associate with the beginning of something mischievous popping into her head.

"The best way to thank us, is to give us babies. Let's be aunties very quickly." I bent down, picked a Hermes slipper that was a gift from Munir and aimed it at the errant girl. She shrieked, as she should, seeing as the footwear hit her smack on her shoulder.

"You should practice basketball with that aim. I was just telling you the truth though, no matter how much it hurts, you gotta do it and give us babies." I considered how far she was standing now and if throwing her my second footwear would be worth it. Layla's continuous laughter and snorts made me shake my head, find my missing slipper and walk away from the two of them.

"I wonder why she's so shy." I heard her say to Layla after the sound of shuffling papers, "You'd think she's never been married before and a virginal bride." I clenched my fists and counted to ten, otherwise, I would definitely pounce on Falmata without care.

*******

"Why didn't you tell me your wife is here in Nigeria? How am I supposed to save you now?" Abdul watched, stupified as his wife, Amal strode into the court room. His judgement hearing was supposed to be fixed after this closing argument hearing and Amal's appearance would destroy all the work that his lawyer had been doing all the while.

"I have no idea. She's supposed to be with my mother in Chad, not here in Abuja." Abdul looked around the room, but the effort if twisting his neck was too hard and she was sitting right behind him. He would not be able to reach her or signal her to leave.

"Guy, I'll see if I can stall them from using her as a witness, but in the case that I can't, faint. Let your soul leave your body or something, just stop breathing because you're going to stay a long time in prison." Abdul's apprehension was so visible. He finally got to know what it felt like all the times Labeebah saw him or when he hurt her. He saw how he wished for a miracle to happen but nothing happened.

His lawyer, a short stocky built man returned, held unto the dock and asked him if he offended Amal. Abdul frowned. No.

"I was just thinking I'd make sure for us to move to somewhere as far as Turkey where we'd never be found. I don't know what has turned her head." The lawyer shook his head, shut his eyes and shook his head again, adjusting the fabric of his wife before turning away back to his seat.