Chapter Eleven: Writing your own story

Happy Birthday my darling ,khayr_Souf

"The pictures are fake?" I sigh.

"The action happened but it's all wrong, they have it all wrong." The lady I'm speaking to holds my phone captive, copying photos from my phone into her computer.

"He cornered me. And tried to get me to talk to him, I ducked out of those photos a second later. It's so unfair that they only put these ones up." She nods understandingly, the pictures have finished sending.

"What we will do is send out a strong statement. This Mr Ali must have had every knowledge that this picture was being taken. See his pose?" She shows me my phone, but I'm forced to see the picture in a different light.

"He knew. First we'll take him down by a peg, forcing him to apologise for maliciously trying to make you be his mistress when you didn't care for it. Then we'll encourage members of the public to look at your reaction well and we'll hope they're sensible enough to gather the right conculsions." I nod slowly.

"First we'll start by making proper use of your advantage as our client. Our legal team. Let me call someone in." She makes a quick call and soon the door sounds with a knock. She allows the person in and they both take me to a conference room next door.

"We drafted out a statement; with a strong tone, we also got a letter from our legal team here," She waves a white envelope at me. "This is the court injunction from forcing him to retract those photos and apologise for them. You should not publish this one or it will look like you're trying to bluff, we are too serious to be taken as jokes." I chuckle. I remember a case between an actress and a musician, they both traded letters from their lawyers on the internet and it all amounted to nothing.

"Once the letter has been handed to him, you'll know. You just watch out." I nod, sighing in relief. "Thank you so much." I say but She shakes her head. "You're welcome, this are the services you paid for and we're very ready to serve you. Also, these pictures, we will examine them and find out who took them. Don't worry."

Once out of their office building in the Maitama busniess district, I order a cab and wait for the cab to arrive. Over across the street, I see people trooping in and out of a new generation bank, then I see a flash of color I've seen before. Nafeesah.

While I look again, the cab arrives and honks, I check my phone and wave it at the driver who is trying to call me. "Good afternoon Mr Hassan." He greets me back and I see Nafeesah again. A thought occurs to me.

"Can you end the trip?" He looks at me quizzically and I beg with my hands and face. "Please. Help me, I need to follow someone and you're the only free cab here." He nods and cancels the trip, driving out to follow Nafeesah who has stopped a green city centre cab.

"This trip will cost you." I wave his concerns off. "Don't worry, I will pay every Kobo." He follows Nafeesah who has gone into a street in Maitama that links the business part with the housing area.

I tsk at her when she finally gets on a street called Ribadu and waits at the gate of number three. This driver is very smart, he drove past the cab she's in and went to turn around and parked in front of a flowery that hid the car but gave us vantage view of her dealing.

The gate opens and it's Aunty Raliya and Ali who step outside to meet Nafeesah. She argues a bit with them but Ali throws a big brown envelope at her chest that she catches with a smile. She enters the car and the driver begins to turn out if the driveway.

What in the world was that? I ask myself.

"What should I do now?" I exhale with my mouth before answering the driver's question. "Just please, take me to Wuse 2,  I need to get home."