The one with a house party (Chapter 13)

If Albert was nervous about leaving me with Hans, he is almost beside himself leaving me at the door to the Weiß coven.

He spent the time it took me to get ready pacing in my living room, stopping only occasionally to plead with me not to go. I had to go. He spent the time walking to the Nordend texting people, probably Hans, and giving me tips on how to defend myself. His advice comes down to don't become food.

I think it's kind of cute, although his nervousness is feeding mine, and I could really go without that right now.

The outside of the Weiß coven is well, quiet. There is a light on outside, but I don't hear any music or see people standing around. Maybe I got the day wrong? That would be my luck.

I stand there staring at the door for a moment, but I don't have a lot of options. Either I knock on the door or go home. Whatever, what's the worst that can happen?

So I knock because I'm a bad bitch like that.

The door creaks open and light floods out, but instead of hordes of bodies pressed together, its light music and the gentle murmur of people talking. It smells like warm scented candles and food.

Mr. Weiß stands to the side of the door, smiling "You made it"

I smile back because, well, it's the friendly thing to do, "hi"

"Everyone is in the sitting room"

I turn to my right where I see an open door and people sitting around chatting. It's a relaxed atmosphere, something more akin to a group of friends hanging out than a hot and heavy club party. I immediately feel more relaxed.

I walk into the same room I was in the last time I was here and a few people turn my way and greet me, but most probably don't notice my entrance as they are hyper-focused on some activity taking place on the coffee table.

I feel a hand gently touch my elbow and I turn my head to see Mr. Weiß, "Can I get you something to drink? Some wine maybe?"

Now I know that things didn't go well at the last vampire party I went to, but I can hardly blame that on my drink, "wine would be lovely, thanks"

With Mr. Weiß leaving to grab the wine, I move into the room, closer to the excitement. Someone yells something and a cheer goes through the room, with a few claps. A small pixie looking vampire jumps up and does a little dance on the spot.

Peering around the people standing in front of me, I can see everyone is fixated on – a monopoly game?

I can't believe my eyes, but the 30 or so people in the room are watching the game like it's prime entertainment, and I'm just so confused.

"Do you play?" I spin, almost knocking a glass out of Mr. Weiß's hand.

"Sorry!" I chirp out, but he just smiles warmly at me and hands me a glass of red wine. "Yes, I've played before, but I don't think I'm any good at it"

I take a sip of my wine, it's surprisingly fruit and light for a red. I take another sip.

"I'm sure anyone as smart as you is a natural"

I blush with his compliment, damn my pale complexion. I go reply something, but he grabs my elbow again and leads me closer to the center of the excitement.

And that is how I end up bored out of my mind watching a monopoly game. Don't get me wrong, I like monopoly as much as the next person, but watching people get excited and shout in German over acquiring a railroad property- Nah... it's not my thing. Especially for hours on end. The rest of the room remains mostly silent except for a few comments on the game.

I am staring at the board game, wondering how my life ended up like this when Mr. Weiß leans close, "would you like more wine?"

"Sure, thank you" Perhaps a little vino can make this night go faster? Right? Right?

It only takes a minute for Weiß to return with my glass full, which after thanking him, I take a very liberal sip... or two while looking around the room for something interesting to look at, if only for a few brief moments.

I hear everyone hold their breath and I automatically turn back to the game.

Four people are playing, the pixie girl, two male vampires, and a human woman who looks like she belongs in a Goth club. The pixie girl rolls the dice and then everything erupts.

People start cheering and the pixie leaps up to do another dance. Only this time I am in the way.

Her swaying arms catch the underside of my wine glass in an upwards motion, catching the side of my face. I jump, the wine comes with me and splashes across my hair, the front of my dress, and down onto the floor.

The room is quiet now as everyone stares at me.

"Es tut mir leid!" the pixie calls out quickly.

"Uh, I'm okay" I mutter as a drop of wine tickles my upper lip. If I thought I was red earlier, I'm red now and I can't say it's only because of the wine.

"Shall I show you the bathroom?" Mr. Weiß asks, polite as always.

"Yes, good idea."

As I make my way out of the room, I notice the squish of wine in my right shoe and I look down. Little spats of red liquid on the wood floor follow me like I murdered someone and made a run for it.

Lovely.

*****

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for reading my story! If you want to read ahead or support me, please check out my Patreon page where you can read ahead on all my ongoing books, get news, and participate in polls starting at 3 Euros a month (+VAT, various currencies available). Check it out at https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather