The one with the crash (Chapter 25)

I stiffen and get ready to push him off me. It's too much, too soon- can't he back off a little?

"It's so hard to wait," he says as he sits back and I take an inward sigh of relief.

This whole beloved thing stresses me out. Maybe I don't feel it as strongly because I'm not a vampire? I just... I understand why Max wants to know for sure before wasting his time on someone who isn't his beloved. I'm just used to the human way of doing things- you get to know each other and then move on to the next step. Something tells me that when all you need to do is bite someone to know, you get to know each other after you have the confirmation.

I take a deep breath; I can't deny myself true love even if I feel rushed. If Max is it, I need to give him reassurance and a proper chance. I reach over and lay my hand on his in an intimate gesture I'm not quite comfortable with, "I'm sorry, I'm getting there."

His strange eyes seek mine out and he gives me a smile, "I know it must be difficult for a human to understand, I appreciate you trying for me."

I squeeze his hand and give him a smile. He really is understanding and kind. Honestly, he was everything any woman would want in a beloved: he was considerate, he cooked, he clearly could take care of his place, he's in great shape, oh and he's super handsome. Yes, if you could order the perfect boyfriend online, he would be the model they offered.

How long was reasonable to wait? Maybe I should just ask him to bite me and then we will know if this whole thing is-

A loud crash and I dig my nails into Max's hand. I seek out the noise to see that Max's front door has flown open and banged against the wall.

A moment later, Max is standing in a fighting stance, growling, and blocking my view of the door. I hear several growls in return.

My adrenaline spikes, my heart beats wildly, and I push myself back into the leather couch to be further from the danger, seem smaller, unimportant. Shit, von Graf told me to stay away from Max- was it because he is involved in something shady? The growls echo through the room, bouncing off the walls and off furniture. I think I might be shaking, damn it.

After a few minutes and the growling continues, I frankly start to get bored. I mean, it was scary and all when it started but, well, is something going to happen or what? I decide to be brave- or stupid, who knows? - and I move so that I can peek around Max who is still standing rigidly, ready to pounce.

"Albert?!" I yell out of shock.

I hear several growls in response, including one from Max.

Albert is in a fighting stance, hunched open, arms spayed, fangs dripping saliva from his open mouth. I've never seen him like this- I've never seen the real him, the vampire under neither it all. It's shocking, to say the least.

I lean further forward and see his companion, none other than Von Graf and I can't help but roll my eyes. At least I knew we weren't going to die.

I stand up from the couch and hear someone hiss. Max growls out, "Sit down, Alexis, this is between von Graf and me"

I almost sit down before I stand up straight again. Steeling myself, I place a hand on Max's shoulder and try to step around him. It's so strange seeing them here...

Max snatches me into him, and I look up into his face. Max's arms around me felt amazingly good. I could get used to this. He looks down at me concerned, "Shit, Alexis, you can't walk between angry vampires like that"

Von Graf growls intensify.

I slowly spin in Max's muscular arms to face the intruders and I ask the most obvious question, "Why are you here?"

"I told you to stay away from the Weiß coven" Von Graf is nothing if not succinct. The arrogant asshole certainly doesn't feel the explain anything to little old me. Both Von Graf and Albert straighten from their fighting stance. Albert looks wary whereas Von Graf looks furious.

"How is it any of your business?" It's my turn to hiss. Damn him.

"I told you-" Von Graf begins.

"I can spend with my beloved if I want to!" I interrupt. Max pulls me tighter against his chest and I can feel the planes of his muscled torso. If I wasn't so angry I would really be enjoying this.

Albert looks like he swallowed a bug with his eyebrows pinched together and his lips in a comical frown.

Max decides it's a good time to pitch in his two cents, "What Alexis is try-"

"You are not his beloved" Von Graf interrupts in control anger, his body shaking from fury before he roars "you are MINE!"

****

Warring Logics is up to chapter 30 on my patreon. Check out the link for more info: https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather