The one in the park (Chapter 20)

The thing about the pandemic is that sometimes you have a meeting at a café, sometimes you zoom from your bedroom after hiding all of your dirty clothes and rush-making your bed, and sometimes you sit in Grüneberg park praying that you dried off the bench well enough that it doesn't look liked you peed yourself when you stand up.

Guess which one I am doing?

I have another interview in a couple of minutes with the Weiß coven. I don't know how I feel about seeing Mr. Weiß- or Max again. He has been patient enough with me, but I'm sure he is anxious to move forward with our relationship since we are after all true loves or something like that. I can't imagine living for hundreds of years and then finally meeting your soul mate only to have her hesitate- that can't be fun, right?

"I don't think you need to worry- vampires can't get sick anyway" Tobias's voice sounds too loud coming from my phone and I try to adjust the volume without accidentally dropping the call before everyone in the park knows our business.

My supervisor just emailed everyone in our research group a statement from the university forbidding us from continuing in-person activities such as interviews. Which is just... swell news. I know that the government announced we would be heading into another lockdown, but it still sucks that my research will be interrupted again.

So, I hopped on a zoom call with Tobias just before my interview. Which meant I was left holding my phone up in the middle of Grüneberg park on a cold early November day. The arm not holding the phone is wrapped tightly around my fall coat in an effort to stay warm. I wasn't expecting to be outside for long and so I chose a coat based on how cute it was rather than warmth- big mistake.

"Yes" I hiss "but I don't want to get kicked out of my Ph.D. because I was found to be breaking university rules"

"Nah, they'll never know" Tobias replies confidently.

"I think it might be better if I move to zoom interviews. Plus then my shadow will stop following me everywhere and can go home to his stupid coven" I respond. And yes that shadow is Albert who is sitting a few benches down from me and waves, unoffended by my comment. After all, he knows how I feel about his boss.

"You'll get better results if you meet in person. Plus, how will you date your new boyfriend if you are stuck at home all the time?" Tobias smirks

"I don't think-"I begin.

A flash of pink and green sparks across the phone screen along with some child-like giggling. A small blond girl crawls onto Tobias' lap holding an arts and crafts project in her hands.

"I have to go, Alexis. Keep up the good work and try not to worry so much!" Tobias yells over his daughter's giggles.

The screen then goes black and I realize that he's hung up on me without us finalizing a plan for my interviews. Freaking post-docs.

I check the time before shoving my phone back in my purse and stand. Only twenty minutes before my interview and I hate to be late for people who are doing me a favor.

"What's this about a boyfriend?" My eyes shift up to Albert who first looks questioning at me before his eyes fall to the ground clearly embarrassed. Is he-? He doesn't have a thing for me, does he? I'm not sure how comfortable I am having him in my apartment all the time knowing this....

I decide to see what his reaction is. "Mr. Weiß claims that I am his beloved"

I watch Albert's eyes look up before they widen in disbelief and his mouth falls open, "That's... that's not possible"

Damn it, so much for being friends. Someone once told me that men and women can't really be friends, and I feel disappointed that their pessimistic assessment of the world seems to be right.

I feel a little guilty for pushing Albert. Even if we aren't really friends, he's still a sweet guy- I mean vampire. I don't really want to hurt him, but I might not be given a choice. "I thought vampires and humans can be beloveds?" I ask gently.

"They can, but you are not Weiß's beloved" Albert is looking at me somewhat desperately now, almost begging me to believe him.

I swallow. Is it possible to feel worse? I shift from foot to foot, pulling my coat even tighter against me. I really do like Albert as a person- I mean vampire, shit. He's sweet, he's cute in a puppy dog meets yuppie way, and we get along great bonding over our mutual love of tea and old James Bond movies. But I just... l don't feel that way about him and Max, well, he is probably my chance at true love and I won't just walk away from that.

I close my eyes trying to think of the best way to say it without hurting him too much, "we won't know until Max bites me"

Albert grabs me by the arms and tugs me in front of him harshly. The look on his face is furious, or scared, I don't know. "Do not let him bite you!" He shakes me and I tremble at how harshly he is treating me. "Alexis, promise me you will stay away from Weiß and his coven?"

His hands dig harshly into my arms, probably leaving bruises. I try to pull away, but he won't let me. What happened to my mild-mannered witty friend? Has he been like this all along?

I pull away harder and he finally lets me go, "Albert thank you for looking out for me but I think its best if you don't stay with me anymore"

And then I spin around and speed walk out of the park.

****

Warring Logics is up to chapter 26 on my patreon. Check out the link for more info: https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather