The one where it's an epilogue (Chapter 36)

"The paper is interesting, but if you read through my comments, I think you could use more quotations to support your arguments in the results section" Tobias' voice comes clearly through my computer speaker.

"Okay..." my voice drifts off as I scroll through the document.

I'm sitting in my room as we go through his comments on my paper in detail, sitting crossed-legged on my chair, drinking tea as I scroll through the paper. The bright spring sun streams through my window. The days are longer now, bringing with it the eagerness to enjoy the outdoors, but up to this point, the closed restaurants and stores make the city feel cold.

"So that and the inclusion of Schiller and Lacy's paper as discussed, then I think you're in good shape" Tobias continues.

"You think I'm ready to submit?" I had written my second paper so much faster than my first which I had only submitted to a journal a month ago.

"Yeah, I think you're almost there. Hear anything from Helmut?" Tobias asks.

"No" I sigh heavily. I hadn't heard anything from my supervisor in months other than the occasional mass email update about his new institute.

"Hmmm... once you address my comments you can send the paper to him again" It takes everything in me to not roll my eyes, but Tobias is looking right at me through the screen and it wouldn't do to upset the only person reading my papers.

"Did he tell you about the interview?"

"What interview?" Of course, Professor Sauer told me nothing about an interview.

"It's for a position at the new institute, for a scientific assistant, Helmut told me he wanted you to be there to interview the candidates." Tobias' eyebrows pinch together as though he's confused that the Professor didn't contact me. I'm not, I'm sure Sauer intends to do many things he never ends up doing- like supervising.

"When is it?" I ask as I pull up my calendar on my screen.

"Next Tuesday at 10am. I'll send you the link... let me see where I..." In the upper right corner of my screen I can see Tobias's eyes scan over the screen as he begins looking for the link.

I groan internally, I had my annual doctor's appointment next Tuesday. It had taken forever to get through to make an appointment since the doctor's phone lines were tied up with people asking about vaccines. I was going to have to spend hours calling the doctor to try to reschedule.

"There it is" Tobias squints at the screen and begins typing for a few seconds before pausing, "are you heading out today?"

"Of course, are you?" I reply. It's the first day that restaurants are open again since November. Sure, it's only outdoor dining and you have to go and get a test from one of the test centers littered around town, but it's a strange feeling of liberation I get when thinking about it.

"Nah, I have to watch the kids while Em works" he replies, "but I'll see you next Tuesday then?"

"Yup, bye Tobias!" I reply and see his wave before he shuts off the screen.

I glance at the time. I only have an hour before he arrives. I run to my bathroom to brush my hair and touch up my makeup before taking off my sweats to put on the cute blue dress I ordered online for this very day.

I haven't seen von Graf since that night and I am a bundle of nerves. We've been texting back and forth for a couple of months, just about stupid things like sending each other pictures of our meals or a newspaper article I thought he would find interesting. Three days ago I finally decided to call him.

An hour later my doorbell buzzes and I bolt to the door grabbing my purse on the way. I throw open the door and it's Albert.

"Oh," I exclaim.

"Expecting the Primus?" Albert smiles.

"No...." I trail off as I try to think of something because, well, I was.

Albert laughs, "Come on, let's get you to him"

The drive to the Goldkellerei was short and I could see people sitting outside at restaurants and hanging around the city center in groups.

Albert parks on the side of the street and leads me into the familiar restaurant. In front, there are ten or so tables with many of them filled with customers drinking their fine wine in the sun. Yet, it's mostly quiet inside, with a few vampires hanging around organizing tables, but no customers. Indoor dining isn't allowed yet, but I guess they want to have everything ready.

Albert leads me to a door just before the stairwell leading to the basement, and points to it, "up there."

I look up the shadowy staircase almost in disbelief.

"Go on," Albert says.

So I take a step and the stair creeks below me. The staircase is reasonably wide, but it's a bit dusty and looks unused. Only one flight of stairs and I reach another door. I push it open.

It's the massive flat roof of the building, with large plush white couches and glistening white tables with match chairs. Large umbrellas sit unopen. A large stocked bar to my left. I never knew all of this was up here.

"Welcome, Alexis" I hear a deep voice to my right and I look at von Graf. He looks more relaxed than I've seen him in tight-fitting brown pants and a white button-down, he could be on a yacht in the Caribbean somewhere with beautiful women in skimpy bathing suits dripping all over him.

"Hi" I reply trying to keep the frown off my face at the thought of women all over him.

"We redid the area of the restaurant and I thought it would be a good place for us to test out before we open it up" he explains, perhaps in response to my face.

"Great idea" I beam at him, trying to show my enthusiasm.

"So, what would you like to drink?" he asks walking towards the bar.

"Um...." I too walk towards the bar following him "What do you recommend?"

"I make a wicked white wine" he replies as he slips behind the bar's counter.

"You make?" I slide onto a bar stool.

"Yes, the coven owns a small vineyard near Eltville" he grabs a bottle of wine from a fridge below the bar.

"I didn't know that," I say as he grabs two wine glasses and pours two generous glasses.

"There are many things you don't know about me" he set a glass before me and looks down at me meaningfully.

I blush embarrassed at his attention. "True" I squeak out.

"Well, drink up, that all changes today." He raises his glass towards me. I grab my glass from the counter and clink my glass with his.

"It does" I reply and take a sip.

*****

Hi guys,

I really hope you enjoyed Warring Logics! When I started it I didn't really have a plan for where the story was going to go (other than the confrontation between Alexis and von Graf in his office- I really wanted that to happen!), instead I let the characters lead the way. This meant that I got to learn where the story was going at the same time as you and so there might some inconsistencies and whatnot in the story. Please let me know if you've spotted anything that should be edited.

The next story in the series is Hannah's Fairytale which I am very excited about. A one chapter preview of Hannah's Fairytale is up on my inkitt profile page (https://www.inkitt.com/HeatherJacobs). This is the story was voted on by my Patreon members and I'm interested to see how that will go. And yes, we will be seeing more of Alexis and von Graf in the series :)

Happy reading!!

Heather

🎉 You've finished reading Warring Logics *COMPLETE* (Book 1 of The Institute of Fantasiological Studies) 🎉