9 - Hunt The Villainess

Beatrix's point of view

I gaze out at the moonlight, softly humming one of the many odd songs that just appear in my head once in a while. Songs that belong to that woman, whose memories I got.

If I hadn't received her memories, then where would I be now?

Somewhere in the mountains in a monastery somewhere, crying my heart out that I didn't deserve what was coming for me? Would I deserve it?

That said, though I got her memories, I am still me in the end. I'm not quite a good heroine. Then again, my job is only to get in their way anyway, which I believe I have done quite splendidly.

Does someone like that deserve a happy ending?

Probably not.

While I don't know the details, knowing that Clovis has now twice been heartbroken enough to show up at my door, proves that my gamble worked. Delia, like a young fool, fell head first into all the obstacles I made for her. Something I excuse with the fact, that she's been flirting with my betrothed.

In the end, just because Delia gets a bad end, that doesn't mean mine will be any better.

Even if I win. What kind of victory will it be? He will probably be heartbroken for years. Even if he isn't, will he actually show any interest in me, or will he just accept that Delia doesn't belong in the royal court.

That's how that kind of works when the villainess does win, isn't it?

I jolt as I hear the front door open.

Clovis usually knocks.

I think back on Clovis' warning, and those guards of his I sent away. In the first place, no one really knows I'm here other than Clovis.

I glance to the window.

It couldn't be that Clovis ended up being right, right? To be honest it's more likely that it's Delia having found out I'm here, and now trying to sneak in nervously, thinking I'm a sort of vampire.

I grab the lantern, before heading out of the room to the hallway.

The front door closes again, but there's no call for me, not even a nervous 'hello'.

Could it be that Clovis is being annoying?

He did seem quite angry as he left last night. Did I push him too far?

I get to the stairs in the entry hall, looking down over the shining marble floor, shining in the moonlight. But I don't see anyone here.

Did they just peek in perhaps?

I narrow my eyes, looking over the place again, as a shadow suddenly moves from behind one of the statues, grabs my lantern, and lifts me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, getting a surprised yelp out of me, as my world is spun around. 

Seriously?!

"I'm certain I told you to bring some guards, Beatrix."

Ah-

"Clovis!"

I snap out his name, as he carries me and the lantern down the hall.

"Think of it as punishment."

I sigh and use my hands to push off against his back, so I'm at least not turned downwards.

"For what part exactly?"

He has an arm wrapped tightly around my thighs so it's not like I'm going to get free without falling down if I struggle.

"Specifically not getting any guards."