2 - The Agreement

Clovis' Point of View

Beatrix lets out a heavy sigh, and then leans forward as she crosses her legs, leaning her elbow on her leg, and putting her head on her hand like she is trying to be inquisitive, but she just ends up looking seductive.

I look away.

"Sit up normally. Northing you can do can convince me to change my mind," I scold her pathetic attempt at seduction... but I'm met with a giggle as response.

When I look back she has folded the fan, and covers her mouth as she giggles... but as our eyes meet that giggle turns into a laugh.

"Seduce you?"

She laughs harder as she leans back in the couch, and then looks at me with cold eyes.

"I see, so despite the overwhealming puppy love for Delia, you still end up looking at me like that."

"Wha!"

I feel heat rush to my cheeks.

"That's not what I meant!"

She giggles again, but I'm at a loss for words. She has never been this blod with me before. I don't think I've even seen her laugh this freely either.

"Now now, your highness. Getting so riled up over so little. Am I not the one that should be insulted? That you see me as a woman, that would try to seduce a man already in love?"

She smiles, but her eyes are cold.

"That is exactly what you are! You've been jealous of Delia from the start!"

She gives a huff.

"Jealous? That you give your affection to some naïve girl and not me, your betrothed? Jealous that you've not met up with me of your own free will for years, but you meet up with her every single day? Or jealous that you kiss her in the garden, where you think I won't see it?"

My stomach sinks.

How did she know?

"Are you spying on Delia?"

She sends me a smile, but her eyes look at me with pity, like a spider looking at its wrapped up prey struggle.

"I was having tea on the balcony, with multiple young Ladies, your highness."

Balcony? Balcony... ah, that's right, there's a balcony by the sunroom that overlooks those gardens... but Beatrix is usually never there. That's the book club's area... then again, she's a social butterfly, why wouldn't she be spreading her influence there.

I hold in a sigh of frustration. I let my guard down. Now the question is, what price I'll have to pay.

"However, let us put that matter aside, your highness. I didn't come here to fight. I came here to bring a compromise."

Her expression turns cold and the smile disappears, making my stomach twist again. I can't help but to get the feeling I am being played, because I can't imagine why she would let a witnessed detail like this go unpunished.

I don't even think Beatrix can compromise on anything anyway. That's why, among all the vicious marriage candidates, she came out on top, as she holds the court of young ladies in an iron grip.

"First of all, I haven't laid a hand on Miss Delia, nor incited anyone to do so. All those witnesses you have are all conveniently political opponents of mine, in a boring old ploy to reduce my favor in your eyes."

I almost roll my eyes, of course she'd say that. It's not like there is any favor to reduce. I've only never struggled against the political marriage because I had never fallen in love, and it was important for the royal family. But we have the power back now.